Question Regarding BYOB Custom Home Neighborhoods

felamy

I need to vent about a neighborhood that I had purchased a lot at late last year. I would like to know other people's experiences with my situation. I don't think I should name the neighborhood but it is in the Spring area.

After purchasing this lot and getting an architect to design my home, I had submitted my plans to the neighborhood association for an approval. I had sumbitted this plan on January 10th and was told I should receive an answer within 30 days. The deed restriction clearly states, "Initial contact between the ARC and the party submitting the design will generally be within 30 days after receipt of the plan."

Well it is now April 19 and no answer. :angry: When we ask the members of the Architecture Review Committee they always make up excuses and tell us an answer will be determined next week. When that week arrived we receive no contact or response. We then ask them the next week why we didnt recieve an answer and recieve the same response and the same problem. This was a continuing cycle that occured about 10 times. I am extremely frustrated. I had sent several emails, left voice messages at the sales office, sent letters to the developer and had not recieve an answer yet. It seems as if they are stalling and will not give us a definite date. The people associated with the neighborhood are very dishonest. I am thinking about selling the lot and finding one elsewhere.

What were some of your experiences with deed restricted neighborhoods? How long did you wait before you recieved an answer for the approval of your home plan? What would you do in my situation? I have waited over three months and counting!

Also, do you know of any other estate neighborhoods in the Spring area with no MUD taxes?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Benders Landing Estates in Spring.

Our ARC meets twice per month. I believe it took them less than a week to approve our plans.

BTW, they are opening a new section tomorrow.

http://www.benderslanding.com

Oh, I should mention... If you are seriously interested, shoot me an email and I'll split the referral they give to existing land owners with you ;).

What were some of your experiences with deed restricted neighborhoods? How long did you wait before you recieved an answer for the approval of your home plan? What would you do in my situation? I have waited over three months and counting!

i agree with you, that is unacceptable. I was on the architectural review board for over 5 yrs in my old neighborhood and whenever they wanted to submit plans, they would call us and we could either setup an appointment or they could just drop off the plans. The turnaround time was minimal. If we saw something that was wrong, then we would call them back and ask to talk to them in person and recommend changes. for that neighborhood, we had setbacks of 10 ft which was what people tried to circumvent the most. Usually it was a week at most.