Demolition And Land Cleanup On Runnels St.

Hello fellow eastenders,

I noticed recently that the demolition and cleanup on a good size piece of land has begun on Runnels st, across from the Alexan Lofts and Perry Homes. I also know that the corner store and the blue plasma building are going away. Anyone know what the plan for this land is? Retail? Mix development? Residential? I see the progress on the mid-dense-residential build on canal is moving along too. Other development, I see that a new elementary school is being built on the northside of buffalo bayou, a block from Clinton on Jenson. Does this mean that the school on Jenson and Navigation ( or is it Franklin and Canal?) is going away? Any plan for development on that location?

I think the Jenson-Navigation-Runnel-Canal area is beginning a boom kinda like what Midtown went through. I like it.

sketkar

:blink::huh::blink:

i drove by there. that is Bruce Elementary to replace the old one next to that Superfund site with all contaminated land i think. I hope you are right about that demolition. Would be nice to have a grocery store there. The area has changed alot in a year.

Hello fellow eastenders,

I noticed recently that the demolition and cleanup on a good size piece of land has begun on Runnels st, across from the Alexan Lofts and Perry Homes. I also know that the corner store and the blue plasma building are going away. Anyone know what the plan for this land is? Retail? Mix development? Residential? I see the progress on the mid-dense-residential build on canal is moving along too. Other development, I see that a new elementary school is being built on the northside of buffalo bayou, a block from Clinton on Jenson. Does this mean that the school on Jenson and Navigation ( or is it Franklin and Canal?) is going away? Any plan for development on that location?

I think the Jenson-Navigation-Runnel-Canal area is beginning a boom kinda like what Midtown went through. I like it.

sketkar

• 1 year later...
Hello fellow eastenders,

sketkar

Hello fellow eastenders,

sketkar

[/quote

I know that a farm market and neighborhood garden center is moving to the old school on Canal St but I doubt that it will need the whole space. Anyone know what else is planned there. Also it looks like the large lot boardered by Runnels, navagation and Canal is about to be developed for shopping. Anyone know what merchants are planned, any chance of a major grocery, I own one of the Perry Patio homes and we need some shopping in the area.

The entire near east end of downtown could use more shopping. I guess it's a chicken-and-egg situation, though.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait until the next Census. I myself am convinced that a little bit more of convenience-oriented retail would be well-received, but national chains and many developers rely on demographic projections to figure out where a good investment is. And although updates and projections for 2007 take into account that there are new rooftops, they absolutely fail to account for the change in household income levels. It just looks dismal right now.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait until the next Census. I myself am convinced that a little bit more of convenience-oriented retail would be well-received, but national chains and many developers rely on demographic projections to figure out where a good investment is. And although updates and projections for 2007 take into account that there are new rooftops, they absolutely fail to account for the change in household income levels. It just looks dismal right now.

That stinketh. So even the American Community Surveys won't help? I thought that was supposed to fill the gap between the census years.

• The title was changed to Demolition And Land Cleanup On Runnels St.

Archived