Huntwick Or Champion Forest

lea

But do they have an integrated network of hundreds of miles of bike trails and parks? And a high percentage of cul-de-sacs? And every home subject to strict architectural controls? And prohibitions against yard/garage sales? And strictly-controlled commercial development for neighborhood shops for a "small town" scale? And churches and public buildings planned and maintained with the strict environmental controls and aesthetic consistency?

The result is that the neighborhoods in The Woodlands look and feel like an entirely different world.

You can call it Disneyland, or the Twilight Zone, or Pleasantville, or Stepford.

I was thinking it sounded more like a prison camp. No wonder my brother hates living there.

I wasn't familiar with the Cypress Woods HS zone...

flanders-twfanatic.jpg

Once again, Flanders...you've chosen to select just a few data points to support your argument...UNFORTUNATELY -- You failed to list any neighborhoods in the Cy-Woods zone. (the neighborhoods you listed fall within the Cy-Falls zone).

Here are some of the primary neighborhoods in the Cy-Woods zone, an area which has grown in population by 72% since the 2000 census:

Rock Creek $107/sq ft, up from $96 in 2000 (avg price $427,300)

Longwood $79/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($227,400)

Coles Crossing $77/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($231,700)

Blackhorse Ranch $90/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($346,850)

Lake of Cypress Hill - $91/sq ft ($249,900)

Lakewood Glen - $77/sq ft ($217,000)

Lakewood Oaks Estates $90/sq ft ($371,300)

Stable Gate ($76/sq ft) (avg price $291,900)

Spring, you continue to reveal yourself as quite the choad. I'm not sure why you see fit to continue stalking this thread. :unsure: Your fanatacism provides evidence enough why many homebuyers get heebie-jeebies when shopping The Woodlands. It's almost creepy.

Edited by mrfootball

flanders-twfanatic.jpg

Once again, Flanders...you've chosen to select just a few data points to support your argument...UNFORTUNATELY -- You failed to list any neighborhoods in the Cy-Woods zone. (the neighborhoods you listed fall within the Cy-Falls zone).

Here are some of the primary neighborhoods in the Cy-Woods zone, an area which has grown in population by 72% since the 2000 census:

Rock Creek $107/sq ft, up from $96 in 2000 (avg price $427,300)

Longwood $79/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($227,400)

Coles Crossing $77/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($231,700)

Blackhorse Ranch $90/sq ft, up from $74 in 2000 ($346,850)

Lake of Cypress Hill - $91/sq ft ($249,900)

Lakewood Glen - $77/sq ft ($217,000)

Lakewood Oaks Estates $90/sq ft ($371,300)

Stable Gate ($76/sq ft) (avg price $291,900)

Spring, you continue to reveal yourself as quite the choad. I'm not sure why you see fit to continue stalking this thread. :unsure: Your fanatacism provides evidence enough why many homebuyers get heebie-jeebies when shopping The Woodlands. It's almost creepy.

As I said, I didn't know anything about the Cy-Woods area. So tell us about it. What subdivision do you live in? And why did you choose it? And what is your philosophy on real estate in general? What things do you look for when you look to buy a property? What's your background and your ideology and so on?

• 4 weeks later...
We are a family of 4 (two sons, 3 1/2 and 2), and will probably move to Northwest Houston within the next year, mainly for the school districts. We currently live in Westchase Houston. I've been driving around the Champion Forest/Huntwick area, and I think we have narrowed in down to this area.

My question is this...Huntwick is zoned to both Klein and Cy-Fair. (By the way, if we decide to buy a home in Huntwick, we would not buy a home in the Klein ISD, since it would be zoned to Klein Forest.)

What is your opinion about purchasing a home in Huntwick which is zoned to Bleyl/Yeager/Cy-Creek vs a Champions Forest home zoned to Brill/Kleb/Klein?

What do you consider the best elementary and middle schools in this area? FYI, I really do not want to purchase a home past Louetta.

I live in Huntwick and happened again this site tonight while doing a search for Northampton swim team.

We are in the section of Huntwick zoned to Cy-Fair, and Houston Chronicle recently had a statitics report for the school districts and how each one did according to the TAKS results. Huntwick has a clubhouse and pool along with tennis courts. Champions Forest I am not sure if the neighborhood has a pool, some residents swim at the Raveneaux Golf Club. Hope this helps. My husband commutes downtown from the Park and Ride at Kuykendahl.

Northampton Cudas website

I heard some people talking last night at our annual neighborhood Crawfish Boil and they had just come back from a swim meet at Huntwick that day. They commented that the pool looked kind of cloudy and green and it was hard for the kids to see through the water. They didn't know why it was like that or if that was something common or unusual in the Huntwick pool. Any idea why it was like that?

One of my good friends lives in Stone Gate and a 25 minute drive from Tomball to Cypress and you are in a flat plain with no trees. She had a custom built home for 200K and it's nice but the area is sandwiched between 290 and the Hwy 6/ West Little York area. She says that the area is being infiltrated with gangs and drugs already. There doesn't seem to be too many family friendly areas that are within a short driving distance. They do have a nice kiddie pool area.

One of my good friends lives in Stone Gate and a 25 minute drive from Tomball to Cypress and you are in a flat plain with no trees. She had a custom built home for 200K and it's nice but the area is sandwiched between 290 and the Hwy 6/ West Little York area. She says that the area is being infiltrated with gangs and drugs already. There doesn't seem to be too many family friendly areas that are within a short driving distance. They do have a nice kiddie pool area.

What does this have to do with Huntwick or Champion Forest? Different area altogether. You might as well be talking about the Galleria area vs. Sugar Land. They're about 20-30 minutes drive from each other. Hell, I live in Cypress (proper) and that's a good 15-20 minutes from me.

I'm not as familiar with the neighborhoods on the other side of Hwy 290, but:

Stonegate ranges up to the mid $400K's with Houston National Golf Course as one of the amenities...I'm doubtful that many gangs are roaming the streets there. The 529 area...however, is somewhat suspect...but that's for another thread.

BTW, that area off Fry Rd. where Blackhorse, Cypress Creek Lakes, and the mammoth new Bridgelands is going in is fairly high $$$. I went back through there the other day and was surprised to see so many 4000-5000 square foot homes going in. The new High School going in near Bridgelands (opening in 2008) will have (along with the new Cypress Woods HS) great demographics.

Edited by mrfootball

Well a few messages above were talking about the Cole's Crossing area, etc. I guess I should have "quoted". The messages were talking about the falling values of the area.

The area just seems to be exploding too fast. Kids get rezoned every 2-3 years! In unicorporated Houston and Cypress there isn't much "structure". I used to live in Cypress off Huffmeister (15 years ago when there were only *gasp* 4 HS's!!) and the area is just multiplying like crazy. My dad still rents the house out so I go by every 2 weeks or so to check it out.

Edited by Mom22Blessings

Well a few messages above were talking about the Cole's Crossing area, etc. I guess I should have "quoted". The messages were talking about the falling values of the area.

The area just seems to be exploding too fast. Kids get rezoned every 2-3 years! In unicorporated Houston and Cypress there isn't much "structure". I used to live in Cypress off Huffmeister (15 years ago when there were only *gasp* 4 HS's!!) and the area is just multiplying like crazy. My dad still rents the house out so I go by every 2 weeks or so to check it out.

It isn't so much the growth as it is the kind of growth. Historically-low mortgage rates in the past few years have made homes on teeny tiny lots affordable to very large segments of the population that previously did not have home ownership as an option. The trend carries a lot of very big plusses with it when you look at the broader picture...but it also has some less desireable results for folks that bought into various areas and didn't see this coming.

Seems you don't know much about the Cypress area.

Cypress is a large area (CFISD projects 2008 population to be 750,000 souls) that has exploded in growth over the past 15 years. Most of the new growth is in master-planned communities ranging from the $200ks to the $700ks. Some range into the multi-millions. As CFISD grows, kids get re-zoned. As it stands Cy-Fair HS will lose its best neighborhoods to the new Cy-Woods HS. In 2-3 more years, the areas of Cy-Woods on the other side of 290 (Blackhorse, Bridgelands) will attend HS #9 creating another bulletproof HS to go along with Cy-Woods. Other solid HS being Cy-Creek and Cy-Fair. There will be 10 High Schools in Cy-Fair ISD alone.

Cole's Crossing is a completely different area from Stone Gate which is located on the other side of 290. The two sides (geographically speaking) are quite different. One side has forests, one side has prairies. The look is completely different (imagine Katy vs. The Woodlands). Cole's Crossing side has forests. Blackhorse side has prairie. The North side of 290 stretches all the way to 249 and the HP Campus, and encompasses dozens upon dozens of high-end neighborhoods zoned to CFISD and Tomball ISD with very few apartments, most of which are about 10 years old or less, with the Lakewood area being the oldest and most established area.

As far as falling values go, you are quite misinformed. The schools (especially in the new Cy-Woods zone) are solid. The best in CFISD, which is one of the most respected school districts in the State. The neighborhoods in this area (Cole's Crossing, Longwood, Lakewood Oaks Estates, Rock Creek, Cypress Creek Lakes, Blackhorse, Northlake Forest, Bridgelands, etc.) have a markedly higher average selling price than The Woodlands as well as a higher average household incomes.

This deserves a new thread, as this has about as much to do with Huntwick/Champions Forest as the Woodlands does to Huntwick. But to say this area (Cypress) has falling values is about the dumbest thing I've heard today.

Edited by mrfootball

Seems you don't know much about the Cypress area.

Cypress is a large area (CFISD projects 2008 population to be 750,000 souls) that has exploded in growth over the past 15 years. Most of the new growth is in master-planned communities ranging from the $200ks to the $700ks. Some range into the multi-millions. As CFISD grows, kids get re-zoned. As it stands Cy-Fair HS will lose its best neighborhoods to the new Cy-Woods HS. In 2-3 more years, the areas of Cy-Woods on the other side of 290 (Blackhorse, Bridgelands) will attend HS #9 creating another bulletproof HS to go along with Cy-Woods. Other solid HS being Cy-Creek and Cy-Fair. There will be 10 High Schools in Cy-Fair ISD alone.

Cole's Crossing is a completely different area from Stone Gate which is located on the other side of 290. The two sides (geographically speaking) are quite different. One side has forests, one side has prairies. The look is completely different (imagine Katy vs. The Woodlands). Cole's Crossing side has forests. Blackhorse side has prairie. The North side of 290 stretches all the way to 249 and the HP Campus, and encompasses dozens upon dozens of high-end neighborhoods zoned to CFISD and Tomball ISD with very few apartments, most of which are about 10 years old or less, with the Lakewood area being the oldest and most established area.

As far as falling values go, you are quite misinformed. The schools (especially in the new Cy-Woods zone) are solid. The best in CFISD, which is one of the most respected school districts in the State. The neighborhoods in this area (Cole's Crossing, Longwood, Lakewood Oaks Estates, Rock Creek, Cypress Creek Lakes, Blackhorse, Northlake Forest, Bridgelands, etc.) have a markedly higher average selling price than The Woodlands as well as a higher average household incomes.

This deserves a new thread, as this has about as much to do with Huntwick/Champions Forest as the Woodlands does to Huntwick. But to say this area (Cypress) has falling values is about the dumbest thing I've heard today.

I didn't say anything about falling home prices...and I wasn't even referencing the Champions area (although you should be carefully watching what's happening just south of 1960). Just that more subdivisions are being built that have lower-priced homes on lower-size lots. There are even 28-foot lots being developed and sold out there. That won't directly affect land values for existing housing product for at least a few years...at least until people start noticing that their schools aren't lily-white anymore.

This trend started in 2001...back then, only 6.67% of homes deveoped in the Cypress area were on lots up to 49 feet in width. In 2005, that amount ballooned up to 24.11%. Meanwhile, construction starts have increased from 4,884 in 2001 to 5,725 in 2005, expanding the impact. I don't forsee it lasting too long as mortgage rates start to rise again...but there's still plenty of these small lot products in the development pipeline.

All this stuff having been said, Cypress isn't seeing as strong a trend in this direction as is Katy...they're taking the brunt of it.

• The title was changed to Huntwick Or Champion Forest