Real Estate Advertising

rps324

I have my own assumptions as to what works and what doesn't when it comes to marketing properties, but I would like to see how many of you found your present homes, or if you are house hunting what sources you use.

Obviously this crowd knows how to use the internet, so HAR would be the obvious choice for a lot of people, but beyond that, where else do you or have you looked? What else have you found helpful.

Does anybody check the Sunday Chronicle? Ads in the Houston Press? Outsmart? Paper City? Any other web sites? Do you cruise around looking for open houses? I'm curious to see if there is a disparity with the answers and what I have assumed works and doesn't.

HAR of course, but also the Chronicle's sunday real estate section (mainly for open house listings, which HAR doesn't seem to be as up to date on). There's something sort of quaint about print ads that I like.

I only casually glance at the real estate ads in other papers, and only used the Press when I was renting.

I used Har.com and urbanliving.com to find houses in my price range and the types I liked and drove around in those neighborhoods to figure out which one I thought I would like to live in.

We ended up walking down the street of the house we thought we were going to buy, and running into a first-time builder (well, it's his first solo project) who's houses are not listed anywhere.

My suggestion is use HAR.com (or whatever) to figure out the areas you want to live in and go drive around... there are lots of "for sale by owner" houses or houses you might have overlooked on the internet but are appealing in person.

I drove around and left notes on people's front doors until I ran into somebody who was selling.

Ha! Love that. :)

Does anyone ever pick up those things like Harmon homes? They seem really hokey to me, especially for more inner-loop type buyers.

i think so. when i previously owned a house i highlighted parts of a

houston map, then gave her a price range and the approximate

vintage of house i could live in. i ended up with a neat little house

that i really enjoyed.

now that i am renting the driving and direct calling seems to work...

HAR.com is great for getting an idea of pricing in the area but

i seemed to have the most problems with flaky landlords found there

(rescheduling appointments or not returning the initial calls). happily,

i still haven't had to live in anything post-1930 since i've been renting.

• 1 month later...
So if you want to represent buyers and you are looking for clients, what is the best way to find the potential buyers? Magazines, radio, newpapers?

2percent2buyer.com

If you ask me the best way is word of mouth and referrals. You treat people right and they refer you to their friends. Of course that is easier said than done if you have no clients in the first place.

• The title was changed to Real Estate Advertising