Big News For Aggieland!

pineda

More big news for Aggieland

http://www.theeagle.com/stories/111205/am_20051112023.php

Updated 8:41 AM on Saturday, November 12, 2005

Company aims to put Aggies in luxury digs

By CRAIG KAPITAN

Eagle Staff Writer

A Georgia-based construction company announced Friday that it plans to build a $100 million complex of luxury condominiums aimed at undergraduate Texas A&M University students.

If approved by city officials, the 550-unit gated community - dubbed The Woodlands of College Station - will be on 87 acres at the corner of Wellborn Road and Harvey Mitchell Parkway South.

The first phase of the three-year project - including construction of one-third of the condos - is expected to be finished by August, company officials said in a statement Friday.

Dovetail Companies, which is overseeing the project, already has similar developments near universities in Georgia and South Carolina, and an additional development is under construction in Tennessee. College Station was a perfect fit for the latest project, according to Eddie Ivey, vice president of operations for the company.

"We always look at the affluency of the students at a college," he said, adding that the "sheer numbers of students" at A&M also played a major part in selecting a College Station site.

The loyalty of A&M alumni and how that translates to wanting to spend money in the community was another reason the area was selected, he said.

Among the amenities planned for the complex will be a 24-hour fitness center, a putting green, a 36-seat movie theater including a 400-disc DVD player, a basketball court and a volleyball pit. An activities coordinator will be hired to plan events ranging from free facials to pool parties and safety seminars.

Homes there are expected to range from about $140,000 to just over $200,000, Ivey said. They will be geared primarily toward undergraduate students receiving financial support from their parents, he said.

Dovetail Companies has been discussing the project with College Station employees for several weeks now, according to Lance Simms, assistant director of planning and development for the city.

The company is expected to request approval for a preliminary plat of the land on Thursday at the city's planning and zoning meeting. City staff is recommending approval, Simms said.

In addition to the condos, the project is expected to include an adjoining commercial development area. The company also will donate nearby land for a city park, officials announced.

City planners have not yet received any proposal for what the commercial property will be, Simms said. Four acres will be given to the city for the construction of Southwest Park, which is expected to be completed by the end of next year, according to Dovetail officials.

It is even likely that A&M will never have the largest stadium in the state because of what's happening on the 40 acres.
It's the biggest stadium in Texas right now.
You're calling your new redneck apartment village "THE WOODLANDS OF COLLEGE STATION?!

What is redneck about a $100 million project?

And by the way, it's not named after "The Woodlands, Texas", the company has properties all over the country that are called "The Woodlands of...".

You're calling your new redneck apartment village "THE WOODLANDS OF COLLEGE STATION?!

I freakin' love you guys.

Not that I think Bryan-College Station can really support anymore rental units or student housing at this time but I have to take some offense to your remarks about this proposed complex. Though I wish the name was a little more original I'd think you'd notice that the company developing it is from Georgia. I don't recall any polls being posed to those of us in B-CS to allow us a voice in that decision. Furthermore, with the developer being from another state I seriously doubt they came up with the name as a result of the city 50 miles down the road, The Woodlands.

about that uber shopping center on greens prarie, is it going to be anchored by a target? i thought i read it wouldnt have any big box stores but maybe that was something else

091804kyle1.jpg

with a stadium like that we could get an NFL Franchise :lol:

as if kyle field wasnt big enough already...

Archived