Got Gas?

nmm

Are you guys REALLY arguing about a "59% increase" over a 25 year period?

Dude, Niche has addressed every single aspect of every one of your posts. You need to read them more closely.

"Dude", no one is arguing about the 59% I asked niche to address his/her contridiction. He/she didn't so maybe you need to read a bit more closely.

...and I am so done with this silliness.

B)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Dude", no one is arguing about the 59% I asked niche to address his/her contridiction. He/she didn't so maybe you need to read a bit more closely.

...and I am so done with this silliness.

B)

You have yet to explain where I've contradicted myself...but I'm just as done with the sillieness as you are. I'm fine leaving it at this.

Yes, I would agree that today's price is below the inflation adjusted $90 by about 13%, though I did not say inflation in my statement. They don't adjust home runs for the lively balls either.

But, back to gasoline. The all-time high in inflation dollars is $3.11 (post-Katrina hit $3.06). Today, gas is at $2.80, 90% of the all-time high. But, here's the kicker. According to USDOT, 90% of drivers in 1980 drove cars, averaging 24.5 mpg. Now, well over half of all drivers drive light trucks and SUVs, with a 21.5 mpg average, 13% less. For that percentage of the population driving trucks and SUVs, the cost per mile of travel, even when adjusted for inflation, has never been higher, at $.1302 per mile, versus $0.1269. Factor in longer average commutes than in 1980, and it really gets expensive.

From "Cruisin' with Pedro de Pacas and Man" on Cheech & Chong's Biggest HIT, when the car wouldn't start:

Chong: "Hey, man. Maybe we're out of gas".

Cheech: "No, man, we can't be out of gas. I put in 59 cents worth two days ago".

Archived