Dallas Newscast

dfwcre8tive

Those of you in Houston missed an exciting Dallas newscast Sunday night from WFAA (ABC channel 8). During the live newscast from a field in The Colony a streaker ran in front of the camera.

Video Clip

WFAA's Edited Clip

Streaker interrupts news broadcast

01:43 PM CDT on Monday, April 3, 2006

WFAA.com Staff

TiVo users were busy pressing rewind Sunday night, following Channel 8's 10 o'clock news report on The Colony's wildfires.

As WFAA-TV reporter Bert Lozano was describing the dry grass conditions on live television, a naked man ran between the camera and Lozano. The streaker appeared on screen for just slightly more than one second. "He came out of nowhere," Lozano said. "We figured the man was hiding in the bushes and decided to show his stuff. We think he had been given a cue from nearby residents that we were filming there."

"I thought about putting my hand over the lens, but it was all over in a split second, so I decided to continue with my introduction," Lozano added. "The show has to go on."

WFAA-TV's executive news director, Michael Valentine, issued an apology for what happened and said the station will cooperate with any police investigation. "The station's reporters take every precaution to control the environment of their live shots, but some situations can't be anticipated," he said.

"We can't control the actions of those who want to purposely disrupt a newscast."

Channel 8 was inundated with calls and e-mails Monday from viewers asking if they really saw what they thought they saw. "Was that a naked guy blowing an air horn and running past during the piece about the wildfires in The Colony?" wrote Lisa Smith. "I am a teacher and a mom, I can do a lot of things at once, but I had to make sure I am not going crazy."

"Did I just see a naked person run across my TV set? It brings back memories of the sport of the 70s," wrote another viewer.

Streaking became an international phenomenon in the mid-1970s. In 1974, a naked man flashed a peace sign as he ran behind actor David Niven during a live broadcast of the Academy Awards. "The only laugh that man will ever get in his life is by stripping... and showing his shortcomings," Niven quipped.

More recently, a naked man ran on the field during the halftime ceremonies at Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston.

"People have been taking this with a sense of humor. Nobody is complaining," said Channel 8's assignments editor Carlos Rosales, who has been fielding some of the calls about Sunday night's incident.

Police said the man could face public indecency and public lewdness charges.

"It was certainly the most interesting live shot in my 11-year television career," Lozano said.

This clip is mild compared to another one that made it on the air on a WFAA newscast a couple of years ago. An editor missed a clip of a naked member of a local sports team walking past the camera during a locker room interview. It made it to the air, with the player's genitals clearly visible as he walked past.

It's not the first unintended nudity on WFAA in recent memory. A couple of years ago they were interviewing some sports guy in a locker room and one of his team mates walked behind him with his winkie hanging out for all the world to see.

And, folks, do any of you understand why someone feels the need to run buck naked in public? :unsure:

In my younger days I used to do it mainly to be reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by my act. Although I must admit that on a few occasions I did it with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.

:P

Seriously, though...why does Rice have Night of Decadence, where everyone runs around campus 99.999% naked? If you've seen the Rice student body (or bodies), it sure ain't for sexual gratification!!! Some people just like to get nekkid and run around sometimes! And obviously it's more than a few...otherwise there wouldn't be nude beaches at resorts! :o

In my younger days I used to do it mainly to be reckless about whether another is present who will be offended or alarmed by my act. Although I must admit that on a few occasions I did it with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived