KPFT at 5:00AM

I don't listen to KPFT too often...there's almost always a far-far-leftist undertone to everything that they broadcast, including the country music. The smugness annoys the hell out of me and drives me away within a few minutes of listening.

But I was driving to work this morning at about 5:30-ish; unfortuanately Coast-to-Coast AM was off the air at that point, and there wasn't anything else on my favorite stations, so I turned to KPFT...if I didn't know that what I heard was serious, I would've thought that I'd have just turned on a far-right talk show that was making fun of the way that the far-right person would perceive liberals as making fun of George Bush.

It was this montage of quotes from old horror flicks, radio programs, presidential speeches, and Kanye West's song about how George Bush doesn't like black people.

These sound bytes were so chopped up that the whole thing was a completely senseless accusation that George Bush is either stubborn and ignorant or intentionally evil...but there wasn't evidence or argument to that effect. It was just this dire-sounding string of accusatory sound bytes. Someone put a lot of time into this, and all I got out of it was the beat to Kanye's song stuck in my head. There really wasn't any attempt at humor...just dire and imprecise accusations without the presentation of any evidence. And this whole thing went on uninterrupted for at least 20 minutes.

Is 5:30AM a bad time to listen to KPFT or is this typical of their programming?

I don't listen to KPFT too often...there's almost always a far-far-leftist undertone to everything that they broadcast, including the country music. The smugness annoys the hell out of me and drives me away within a few minutes of listening.

But I was driving to work this morning at about 5:30-ish; unfortuanately Coast-to-Coast AM was off the air at that point, and there wasn't anything else on my favorite stations, so I turned to KPFT...if I didn't know that what I heard was serious, I would've thought that I'd have just turned on a far-right talk show that was making fun of the way that the far-right person would perceive liberals as making fun of George Bush.

It was this montage of quotes from old horror flicks, radio programs, presidential speeches, and Kanye West's song about how George Bush doesn't like black people.

These sound bytes were so chopped up that the whole thing was a completely senseless accusation that George Bush is either stubborn and ignorant or intentionally evil...but there wasn't evidence or argument to that effect. It was just this dire-sounding string of accusatory sound bytes. Someone put a lot of time into this, and all I got out of it was the beat to Kanye's song stuck in my head. There really wasn't any attempt at humor...just dire and imprecise accusations without the presentation of any evidence. And this whole thing went on uninterrupted for at least 20 minutes.

Is 5:30AM a bad time to listen to KPFT or is this typical of their programming?

5:30 AM is a bad time for just about anything I can think of.

Does KPFT still have The Prison Show? I loved that show for three reasons:

1. It is an original idea.

2. It is a local production.

3. It makes you thankful for what you have.

The production quality is low, but the impact is large.