Coming Soon: Driving on the wrong side of the road

I wasn't sure if this should be in Traffic, or Elsewhere, so I settled on here.

A new freeway interchange will require people to drive on the other side of the road.

The article didn't make a lot of sense until I saw a diagram.

Diagram of a Diverging Diamond interchange.

It seems to make sense, but I wonder how disorienting this will be for people who don't know it's coming.

Interesting. I love traffic diagrams. My first thought was that it should work out fine. After all, it's only a short distance. But on second thought, it may not be a good idea. Never underestimate how easily people get disoriented or confused. Even driving on the right seems like too much for a lot of people! :D

Probably would be best to add some larger than normal plantings between the reversed lanes or different elevations. Anything that can quickly give visual clues that this is different than the usual roadway and counter the perception that one is about to go the wrong way.

Edited by dp2

Yeah, just look at the fiasco "No left turn on Main St." caused.

Yes, but that's nothing new. Left turns on Main St. in Midtown and Downtown were prohibited decades before the light rail system was built. The only difference is that way back when, if someone made an illegal left on Main and got hit, it was by another car or a Metro bus, and it didn't make the lead story on the 6:00 PM news.

I personally like this interchange design a lot and could see how it would be far more efficient at many of Houston's busy freeway intersections than more traditional designs.

If people are so dumb they can't follow road signs and traffic signals, then they shouldn't be driving. Period.

Maybe it's time we should make an IQ test part of the process for obtaining a driver's license.

Yes, but that's nothing new. Left turns on Main St. in Midtown and Downtown were prohibited decades before the light rail system was built. The only difference is that way back when, if someone made an illegal left on Main and got hit, it was by another car or a Metro bus, and it didn't make the lead story on the 6:00 PM news.

I personally like this interchange design a lot and could see how it would be far more efficient at many of Houston's busy freeway intersections than more traditional designs.

If people are so dumb they can't follow road signs and traffic signals, then they shouldn't be driving. Period.

Maybe it's time we should make an IQ test part of the process for obtaining a driver's license.

I could only probably be efficient on freeways in Houston without continuous frontage roads, i.e Westpark, 288, and the inner Katy.