Leeland Square By Frank Liu

hokieone

Anyone know what this is going to be? Saw the variance request sign on Leeland when driving by, not too far from the Toyota Center. Any news on what this is planned to be?

Upscale home builder Frank Liu is planning to build what will be the first traditional residential subdivision in downtown Houston.

Thanks for reminding me; I'd completely forgotten about it. I believe the public meeting ont he request has already been held (within the last few days or weeks--can't remember the date I saw on the billboard). I too have questions, though I do remember some years ago someone posting a planned project that included several "New York-styled" brownstones sitting roughly three or four stories high.

I wonder if this is the same development.

I remember that discussion now, it was supposed to be that brownstone development that had ridiculously high prices. Don't remember if it is the same thign. I remember those listings sat on har for a very long time, but I checked today and its not there anymore. I'm wondering if they scaled back plans and maybe are going through with it on a different scale. This was the rendering at that time, but I'm guessing this is not what will actually go up there.

Brownstone images - Leeland Square?

Hopefully it is residential of some kind, perhaps they are encouraged to build since some townhomes close to here sold at Hutchins & Jefferson just over 59 for over $325K each.

Yeah, looking at those images now, it's all contrived. Those aren't even authentic designs, just some images from either New York, Boston or Washington that they threw up on the website.

Nevertheless, I agree that I hope they have plans to build residential on the property. Granted, a mere variance request is a long way from moving ahead with a project, but if the ultimate goal is to build there, I'm hoping its residential, particularly since it is fairly close to the soon to be renovated Houston House apartments.

• 4 weeks later...

It won't be online yet, but according to the Houston Business Journal this project will be a go. According to the article, this will be the first traditional residential subdivision downtown, with freestanding homes on their own lots. The block is being replatted to allow five single residence lots.

This is great news for downtown. :D

Brownstone images - Leeland Square?

Hopefully it is residential of some kind, perhaps they are encouraged to build since some townhomes close to here sold at Hutchins & Jefferson just over 59 for over $325K each.

Unoriginal crap.

Hutchins & Jefferson are in a different market altogether. The land probably only cost the developers $20 to $25 per square foot. Once you're inside of 59, good luck finding even an oddly-shaped parcel in the nook of a freeway interchange for less than $55 per square foot; prices only go up from there.

Plus, I get the sense that Hutchins & Jefferson sold at a premium because they incorporated original designs and have terraces on every level. They're very attractive and are also within walking distance of Kim Son and Jenni's Noodle House. If there's one thing that I'd question, its that the two sets of townhomes are facing eachother and have a lot of glass on their fronts (i.e. privacy issue).

I don't believe those renderings represent the final design. It sounds like the idea isn't brownstones, it is single family houses sitting on lots, like in a suburban development.

Somehow, I doubt that the ultimate outcome will be all that much different...except possibly a little less overwhelming. Still, I'm fully expecting some form of unoriginal design.

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Leeland Square By Frank Liu

Archived