Walmart Supercenter Sawdust In The Woodlands

dfinke

I read in the Woodlands Villager today that Wal-Mart has purchased the Spring-Woodlands Church of Christ and the adjoining vacant property next door to it, on Sawdust Road (the part where Sawdust and Grogan's Mill Drive split apart-the intersection with a Starbucks and a Chevron at it.). I would have to assume that this means that Wal-Mart is going to vacate its current location just across the street?

I find it very hard to beleive that The Woodlands area really needs three WalMart Supercenters. I've already e-mailed both Super Target and Costco asking them to provide our area with some alternative to WalMart but both responed (surprisingly) saying that they had "no plans to expand into your area but would forward your request to our Real Estate Development department." Maybe if more people sent them a request it would speed up some development in our area? Certainly I can't be the only person who's tired of Walmart holding a big-box-grocery-super store "monopoly" in our area can I?

I read in the Woodlands Villager today that Wal-Mart has purchased the Spring-Woodlands Church of Christ and the adjoining vacant property next door to it, on Sawdust Road (the part where Sawdust and Grogan's Mill Drive split apart-the intersection with a Starbucks and a Chevron at it.). I would have to assume that this means that Wal-Mart is going to vacate its current location just across the street?

I find it very hard to beleive that The Woodlands area really needs three WalMart Supercenters. I've already e-mailed both Super Target and Costco asking them to provide our area with some alternative to WalMart but both responed (surprisingly) saying that they had "no plans to expand into your area but would forward your request to our Real Estate Development department." Maybe if more people sent them a request it would speed up some development in our area? Certainly I can't be the only person who's tired of Walmart holding a big-box-grocery-super store "monopoly" in our area can I?

in all honesty, those were probably form letters. the vocal minority requesting a store does not override marketing compilations -- population density, income, etc. a few years ago our marketing team received many letters from genuine folks but the consulting team ran the numbers and scouted properties.

did i understand correctly -- the walmart is replacing a church? if so, it sounds like a great opportunity for a news story -- ahem, houston press?

the church in question has many mature trees. i assume they'll be bulldozed so that walmart doesn't have to incur any additional costs.

The Walmart Effect strikes again. I'm surprised to see them build a THIRD superstore in a 13 mile radius. You'd think they'd wait to see what happens with the new one on 2978, which is almost complete. 3 Superstores for a 100,000 person population seems a little like overkill.

I feel bad for the people that live up there near Sawdust. Its pretty junky already, now there will be concrete shell.

PS- Target is building a Superstore at 2978 and 1488.

Are there any Wal-Marts in the area that are scheduled to be closed? I heard that Wal-Mart loves to close older locations and build brand new ones in close proximity to old ones.

Maybe a closed Wal-Mart can be turned into a C.E.P.

Edited by VicMan

Are there any Wal-Marts in the area that are scheduled to be closed? I heard that Wal-Mart loves to close older locations and build brand new ones in close proximity to old ones.

Unfortunately, Walmart has a bad habit of holding onto their empty property, so they won't have to deal with competition. :angry:

Unfortunately, Walmart has a bad habit of holding onto their empty property, so they won't have to deal with competition. :angry:

Well I would assume that he said that because that is what the one in Sharpstown turned into. But that was at least a decade ago, so their policy may have changed.

I read somewhere that WalMart has an entire group dedicated to nothing but selling off old buildings and property.

http://www.walmartrealty.com/

This appears to be their site. The article I read this in suggested that as WalMart converted from the smaller original concept to Supercenters and other large concepts, it created a lot of excess inventory, necessitating the real estate group. They supposedly are very helpful in converting the buildings to alternate uses.

I don't know enough to contradict your statement, but the article I read suggested otherwise.

Edited by RedScare

I read somewhere that WalMart has an entire group dedicated to nothing but selling off old buildings and property.

http://www.walmartrealty.com/

This appears to be their site. The article I read this in suggested that as WalMart converted from the smaller original concept to Supercenters and other large concepts, it created a lot of excess inventory, necessitating the real estate group. They supposedly are very helpful in converting the buildings to alternate uses.

I don't know enough to contradict your statement, but the article I read suggested otherwise.

I do not pretend to be an expert. I can only note my past observations. It is certainly possible that the "shells" I have watched in the past have simply been unable to sell. Keep in mind that I despise Walmart and most of my observations are a bit biased in that direction. That being said, I hope something positive is done with that prime piece of real estate.

I'm thinking of organizing a protest for this Wal-Mart store. The Woodlands residents didn't ask for it, Wal-Mart just put one there based on it having a suitable population to support it. This is something Wal-Mart does as standard marketing across the country. Wal-Mart knows nothing about The Woodlands or their preferences. They will cut down acres of trees, ruining The Woodlands commitment to preserving the natural landscape around any building projects. They've had a long time to figure out some kind of governing power and to make policy to stop this kind of stuff. I have no sympathy for the residents in that regard, but since I love that area so much, I will take it upon myself to protest. They always ruin areas that were otherwise very nice and pleasant, (ie. 1960 @ Walters Rd location), cause massive amounts of traffic, and cut down beautiful trees to put up a huge parking lot and ugly box store.

Anyone know when construction is scheduled to begin? I need to act quickly.

• The title was changed to Walmart Supercenter Sawdust In The Woodlands