San Jacinto Monument

Ashikaga

I know the "shaft" (insert any other sexual inuendo's here) is under rennovation, because they wouldn't let me go to the top because of construction, and said it wouldn't be in operation until a few months time. I think it might have been a few months by now?

During its seven decades, I wonder if anyone tried to commit suicide from atop the San Jacinto Monument?

During its seven decades, I wonder if anyone tried to commit suicide from atop the San Jacinto Monument?

It's probable that over 70 years some people have gone to the top with suicidal intentions, but those plans were thwarted by the monument's design. The windows on the observation deck are quite small, and they've always had iron bars no one could climb through. At least that's my memory of it. It's been a few years since I've been up there.

It's probable that over 70 years some people have gone to the top with suicidal intentions, but those plans were thwarted by the monument's design. The windows on the observation deck are quite small, and they've always had iron bars no one could climb through. At least that's my memory of it. It's been a few years since I've been up there.

I see your point. I remember seeing those iron bars. It would have taken a very skinny person to be able to slip through them.

• 5 months later...
Its history is interesting if you read up on it. I go every couple of years or so. they have a movie downstairs about the actual battle of San Jacinto for a fee i believe. Because it was built in the 30's, the art deco influence in the building is amazing. Just remember it is the tallest monument and tallest masonry structure in the world.

Some history, facts and figures.

The link below has some pics of the remodeling by month.

Monument Renovation pics

Thanks for sticking to the premise of the topic,

I have a great photo of my mom sitting on the outside with a program or booklet of the monument in her hand circa 1946. I do recall vividly going on a school field trip there when I was in 1st grade approx 1966. Its always been a mystery to me why HISD would take kids so young to places like this because we had no idea or clue what or why history was important at that age? Much have rathered going to Herman Park to play! Needless to say I will always remember the cute girl that had a crush on me and followed me everywhere I went while there. I still can see her in her dark hair, short bangs with a full pouffed white dress & black shiny shoes. That's the one I should have married! True love!

I was at the Battleground Park about two months ago and the elevators and observation deck were open.

When I was growing up we had a female family friend who had a cannonball that she used as a doorstop. She said that when she was a little girl (late 19th century) her family went to the San Jacinto Battleground for a picnic and they found the cannonball in their picnic site. I always wondered what happened to that cannonball.

• 4 years later...

With all this talk about earthquake damage to the Washington Monument, they keep saying that the WM is the tallest stone structure in the world at 555 feet. Well the San Jacinto Monument is 570 feet. Is it not stone or is it only clad in stone?

With all this talk about earthquake damage to the Washington Monument, they keep saying that the WM is the tallest stone structure in the world at 555 feet. Well the San Jacinto Monument is 570 feet. Is it not stone or is it only clad in stone?

It's my understanding that the WM is the tallest stone structure in the world. The SJM is taller, but is not all stone - being mostly reinforced concrete with a shellstone cover.

The WM is arguably also the tallest obelisk in the world, since the SJM is not technically an obelisk (despite being obelisk-like in shape). However, the SJM is the tallest monumental column in the world.

W.S. Bellows Constuction, builders of the monument, proudly uses an image of the monument on their stationary and business cards.

I also have a friend that owns the balsa wood model created by the original designer. The model is about 4' tall and has all of the finished details. The star on top is removable, apparently because it was added at the last minute before the structure was approved for construction. This indivudual was apparently a relative of my freind. My freind says he intends to donate this piece to the state eventually.

• The title was changed to San Jacinto Monument

Archived