Corpus Christi

Ashikaga

I want to relocate to another part of Texas. I've got my eyes on Corpus Christi. I like the idea of living in a big city (a little over 300,000 population) on the coast with a mostly Hispanic population (52%).

If anyone out there has any additional information they can give me about Corpus Christi, I would appreciate it.

I want to relocate to another part of Texas. I've got my eyes on Corpus Christi. I like the idea of living in a big city (a little over 300,000 population) on the coast with a mostly Hispanic population (52%).

If anyone out there has any additional information they can give me about Corpus Christi, I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't call Corpus a big city....it only has something like 4 gates in its airport...and I don't think it is a very pretty place, considering the city is littered with refineries and its downtown is somewhere on the scale between blighted and dismal. 10 miles west of the airport is basically rural land though, and lots of it....

I wouldn't call Corpus a big city....it only has something like 4 gates in its airport...and I don't think it is a very pretty place, considering the city is littered with refineries and its downtown is somewhere on the scale between blighted and dismal. 10 miles west of the airport is basically rural land though, and lots of it....

Well, I graduated from high school in Beaumont, the population of which is just over 100,000. So a city three times that size is big to me. Did you used to live there? I didn't know that it was an oil town. I'm just tired of where I currently live. I've also been thinking about San Antonio with its large Hispanic population, but it's not on the coast. Would you say that Corpus Christi is a big Galveston?

Corpus is great, especially if you have a little money to spend on a nice place. It's a great vacation spot and I think it is beautiful, especially along the bay. It also has a nice downtown for such a small city. Lastly, it has next to no traffic, getting around on the highways is a breeze.

• 3 weeks later...

My experiences with Corpus mostly have to do with high school field trips. Let me just say, when your high school class is over 90% Hispanic and you all go to Corpus, expect to see the monumental statue of Selena. There's just no avoiding it.

I also explicitly remember the lack of traffic. I think it's one of the least congested cities in the nation.

I'd probably appreciate it better if I had enough money to just hang out around town for a few months without necessarily doing anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Developer shares Padre Island plans with residents

April 14, 2006 05:35 PM CDT

PADRE ISLAND - The developer who plans to build a world class resort next to Packery Channel shared some of the plans with residents who live on Padre Island.

The sketches shown to island residents on Thursday represent somewhere between $400 million and $1.3 billion of Padre Island Development. The northern end will be called "The Village at North Padre Island" Complete with a world class hotel, which could stand 10 stories high, along with numerous condos and shops.

On the south end, you'll find "Beach Walk Village" with about 400 beach houses, a small hotel and more stores and restaurants. A boardwalk connects the entire project, but don't expect to find your typical restaurants.

"We think it's much more interesting to have people run them that you know and when you come back next year you remember you visited with them the year before. We very much believe in local content," said Gulf Shores Venture developer Paul Schexnailder.

The developer said a beach free of cars was necessary. Now a petition drive is trying to get the cars back on the beach.

"This resort is not gonna go in, at the quality that we have planned, nor the scale we have planned if the beach does not become pedestrian resort quality," he said. Developers said opposition is not a deal breaker, "I think it's an issue that been alive for a long time in the community and I'm not surprised at it. Everybody has difference of opinion, that's part of where we live, the country we live in, I don't think it's unique to Corpus Christi." What would be unique is the type of resort never before seen here in Corpus Christi.

There's been speculation that a company called Intrawest will manage the resort. While Schexnailder didn't confirm that, he did say anyone interested in the company's track record could check out it's Web site Intrawest.com. The company currently runs resorts in places like Aspen, Colorado, Orlando, Florida and Napa Valley, California.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4...6&nav=menu192_2

4769436_BG2.jpg

4769436_BG3.jpg

4769436_BG4.jpg

4769436_BG5.jpg

Anther new development in CC:

BOARDWALK BY THE BAY

CORPUS CHRISTI (Caller.com)

Wow, these are two huge developments for Corpus. I guess after Galveston, Corpus could be the "next big thing" on the Gulf Coast. I think it's already got more pieces in place than Galveston minus having the 4th largest city in the country up the road.

My experiences with Corpus mostly have to do with high school field trips. Let me just say, when your high school class is over 90% Hispanic and you all go to Corpus, expect to see the monumental statue of Selena. There's just no avoiding it.

I also explicitly remember the lack of traffic. I think it's one of the least congested cities in the nation.

I'd probably appreciate it better if I had enough money to just hang out around town for a few months without necessarily doing anything.

Wonderful how you get off topic to bash hispanics. Go see a psychotherapist already.

Corpus Christi also has the battleship and is close to many other smaller coastal towns such as Rockport.

As for school districts:

Corpus Christi ISD serves the most of Corpus Christi

Other districts include:

* Calallen ISD

* Flour Bluff ISD

* Tuloso-Midway ISD

* West Oso ISD

Wonderful how you get off topic to bash hispanics. Go see a psychotherapist already.

What do you want me to say? That I was thrilled at the opportunity to vicariously revel in the aura of a crowd reveling in the aura of a pop singer for whom I had (and still have) no appreciation? I'll bet that if Britney Spears had been murdered in the same way at her peak, and a statue was erected in her memory in some mid-sized town without many other viable tourist draws, high school field trips from predominantly-white areas would have stopped there...and the experience still would have disgusted me, quite frankly.

It's not that I have something against Hispanic bubblegum pop music...it's that I have something against bubblegum pop music. And I was with a largely Hispanic crowd, so naturally, I was compelled to visit the thing.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The people have different reputations; Brittney Spears was seen as an idiot and unstable. (I think we know why)

Likewise Selena was something of a daddy's girl/momma's girl as she was with her family so much. Some people think that made her naive and easy prey for people like Yolanda Saldivar.

What do you want me to say? That I was thrilled at the opportunity to vicariously revel in the aura of a crowd reveling in the aura of a pop singer for whom I had (and still have) no appreciation? I'll bet that if Britney Spears had been murdered in the same way at her peak, and a statue was erected in her memory in some mid-sized town without many other viable tourist draws, high school field trips from predominantly-white areas would have stopped there...and the experience still would have disgusted me, quite frankly.

It's not that I have something against Hispanic bubblegum pop music...it's that I have something against bubblegum pop music. And I was with a largely Hispanic crowd, so naturally, I was compelled to visit the thing.

Archived