May 16, 2024 Storm

editor

Posted (edited)

That was about as bad as any hurricane I've experienced and I've been through a few...very scary...lots of tree limbs scattered about and wooden fences down...  my neighbor says 4 people are dead.  Just terrible.

I don't think it was a tornado but some people are saying it was.  I didn't hear the loud freight train sound.  I think it was straight line winds.

Edited by hbg.50
  • Like 1

The weather guys were really on it. More than 24 hours notice that this was going to be really bad, and then it arrived right on time.

David Paul said downtown at 6:31pm, and it arrived right at 6:30. 

Lots of downtown streets are closed because there's so much glass everywhere. It's really hard to resist going outside and looking, but i know the good citizen thing to do is to stay out of the way. 

From Metro:

Park & Ride Service Suspended, HOV/HOT Lanes Closed Following Severe Weather

As a result of last night's severe weather, METRO has made the following service adjustments:

Friday, May 17

• All Park & Ride service is suspended until further notice.
  • Expect delays on local bus, METROLift and curb2curb service.
  • Reduced frequency, bus shuttle service on portions of Red, Green and Purple METRORail lines.
  • Silver Line will run in the curb lane. BRT lane is closed. 
  • METRO RideStores will be closed.

METRO HOV/HOT Express lanes will remain closed through morning and afternoon commutes, impacting the following roadways:

• I-45 North (North Freeway)
  • I-45 South (Gulf Freeway)
  • I-69 / U.S. Hwy. 59 North (Eastex Freeway)
  • I-69 / U.S. Hwy. 59 South (Southwest Freeway)
  • U.S. 290 West (Northwest Freeway)

METRO is committed to ensuring the safety of our customers and employees. Crews will continue to assess conditions through the day and we will issue further alerts if there are any updates to service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hindesky said:

TJwOUYk.png

I wonder if that's because of flying gravel off of nearby roofs like in Hurricane Alicia in '83. Interesting that the storm blew in from the West, yet all those broken windows are on the East-facing side.

2 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I wonder if that's because of flying gravel off of nearby roofs like in Hurricane Alicia in '83. Interesting that the storm blew in from the West, yet all those broken windows are on the East-facing side.

News reports are saying the broken glass is from flying debris as opposed to barometric pressure, but I'm not so sure.   One eye witness said she saw the window glass bowing.  She was sure it was going to shatter and she was on the 39th floor of her building. 

"We’ll find out more today and tomorrow about specifics on damage and what was a tornado or straight line winds. Whatever the case, this was one of the most ferocious storms I’ve ever seen. This was a smaller scale version of what occurred in Iowa a few years back, when they had 140 mph winds down to about 1,000 feet but over a wider area. Whether or not this gets classified as a derecho will remain to be seen. I think it probably falls just short of that metric because of some discontinuity in the damage report path, but honestly, does it matter?"

https://spacecityweather.com

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/derecho

• Like 1