Glenwood Park

Guest danax

Looks like a great development and only 2 miles from Downtown Atlanta. I found this info which says that it was a 28 acre brownfield that was also almost completely covered with concrete so it wasn't an easy one.

This "green utopian/mixed-use diverso-rama village" concept seems to be the obvious trend so I would imagine we'll be seeing similar projects at some point soon, probably on the East End or Near North. Some of the "town center" suburban projects are along the same lines.

I think these micro-neighborhoods are probably going to be successful but we already have the same things evolving in an organic fashion here on a much larger scale. Places like the Heights and Rice Military as they're currently evolving, with a mixture of old homes, townhomes, condos and retail.

So while Houston might not have any master-planned versions of this style yet, with our ever-changing, no-zoning tapestry, we invented it.

I like the look of that Glenwood Park project...but it seems like another variation of the Woodlands without the waterway/enchanting forest or Sugarland Town Square without the big mall adjacent.

Those pictures of the "main street" retail portion of Glenwood Park look unsurprisingly similar to the Woodlands and Sugarland storefronts. There's nothing wrong with that per se, it's the trend but...

Rice Village seems to excite me more than these nouveaux developments for some reason. If 19th St. had more bars, eateries and diverse retail...heck, Houston would have another base covered. I love 19th St.because its context is indeed quite "organic." It's got a vibe...it just needs more energetic commerce to get more kinds of foot traffic going. There's gotta be more places to eat than the likes of either (a.m.) Andy's Deli or Shade there.

If 19th St. could get some boba tea house and/or wi-fi java house...two bars/one night club (at least)...another Half-Price Bookstore...then a smattering of those Montrose/Rice Village boutiques...ah, man. 'Twould be so great a development.

University Heights here in San Diego has done that somewhat. And 19th St. is a cooler looking street. I just wish Houston could jump on those things.

Archived