Preston/Commerce Corridor Bikeway

On 4/3/2024 at 2:48 PM, hindesky said:

Found on Precinct 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis website.

https://www.hcp1.net/Portals/hcp1/Documents/CIP_Book_2023_Q2_Web.pdf

cDNKkeY.png

CA7SdgN.pngvh9g5IA.pngGJHgKxe.png

Interesting. This is an essential route and I really hope it moves forward, but I'm curious about the Preston Street section, particularly between Main and Austin.

Given the current geometry, I'd assume that the most sensible route would be to upcurb the current onstreer parking spots to make the ped/bike right of way continuous from its widest points. But I imagine that that would be contentious. 

If they took that approach, though, they could do one-way paved bike paths on either side, which would make it easier to navigate around the trees. 

I think any plan to cut down the trees would doom this project, but I'm curious about whether the city would rather go on-street or off-street with the bikeway there.

I assume Commerce will be on-street à la Austin, at least for this section. (I think Harrisburg Trail-Navigation may be off-street, with just a wide, smooth sidewalk like Cleburne, though I base that on nothing.)