Geodesic Domes

TheNiche

I'm toying with townhome designs that incorporate geodesic domes on the top floor.

How do people feel about geodesic domes made out of varying materials, particularly glass or mirrored glass? Any personal experiences with them?

I work for one of the two largest geodesic dome companies in the U.S. Our market is split between municipal (covering water tanks), industrial (covering oil tanks) and architectural.

In the architectural market the panels can be made out of different products. The cost is usually prohibitive for home use but you will see the products in hotels and office buildings.

Send me a personal message if you would like more information.

Groovy, will they have wall-to-wall shag carpets (which are coming back in style;)?

No. I'm going with a very modern concept. Whereas the 70's domes were typically solid and opaque except for a few small window panels, I'm looking at mirrored glass (Enron-blue is my preference). If there is one minor note that I may borrow from the 70's, it would be the slogan "S'cuse me while I kiss the sky."

Do the ones in Galveston count?

Certainly not. They were built with the purpose of withstanding storms--mine are built with a more decadent purpose in mind.

The "Enron Blue" is pretty much the sky reflected in the mirrored panels, I think.

Not entirely. It is slightly tinted blue.

An example of a perfectly untinted mirrored surface is on the pair that are along the east side of the West Loop, across from Uptown Park, Montebello, and Villa d'Este, north of Post Oak Blvd. I can't remember what they're called, but they're twin office buildings, very boxy, each over a very long common parking garage.

• 1 month later...