questions about going to Russia

i'm headed to Moscow and St Petersburg this summer with some friends. we were just looking online, and it seems we have to have some sort of sponsor to get a visa.

has anyone been there? know details and how to get a visa? any other suggestions?

we're the types to see the sites during the day and party at night.

we're not using a travel agent, i was using miles for my ticket and haven't even thought about hotels yet.

thanks in advance.

i'm headed to Moscow and St Petersburg this summer with some friends. we were just looking online, and it seems we have to have some sort of sponsor to get a visa.

has anyone been there? know details and how to get a visa? any other suggestions?

we're the types to see the sites during the day and party at night.

we're not using a travel agent, i was using miles for my ticket and haven't even thought about hotels yet.

thanks in advance.

A Russian tourist visa is valid for 30 days--no sponsorship required, except I believe you do need some sort of hotel arrangements ahead of time (they need to know you have a place to stay and a definite end date). A business visa is good for 12 months.

Russian Visa Requirements

The following documents should be submited to the Russian Embassy or Consulate to obtain visa to enter Russia.

Russian Tourist Visa

Your original passport with at least 2 blank visa-designated pages (passport must be valid for at least 6 months after intended departure date from Russia).

Two copies of Russian visa application form, completed and signed.

ONE passport-size photo signed on the back.

If Tour Group or Cruise Passenger: Letter from tour company or cruise line confirming itinerary and including a copy of the confirmation from authorized Russian travel company which shows the reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

If Individual Travel: Confirmation of hotel arrangements from authorized Russian travel company, or directly from the Russian hotel, showing reference number and confirmation number for the visa.

Note: Effective April 15 1999 all tourist visa support should be presented on the new Russian Visa Support Confirmation Form.

Archived