Bayland Orphans Home At 6400 Old Richmond Rd.

Highrise Tower

Earlier this week I came across a wild photograph and wanted to share. Bayland Orphans Home (later, Bayland Boys Home) was destroyed by a fire on January 25, 1951.

q465Ae9.jpg

I then went researching more about the home and came across a wild map that I've never seen before.  Apparently, the land was owned by Frank Meyer and was donated to Bayland Orphans Home. Included on the map are some parcels owned by MD Anderson.  Talk about a cool map!  I'd like to know more about those Anderson parcels. There are also more F.K. Meyer parcels just below the Bayland Orphans Home. Wild stuff! I assume it was just farm/ranch land back in the 1940s?

xqHK58o.jpg

Going onto Google Earth to view the campus in its heyday was a wild site to see.  Apparently, the 100+ acre parcel only contained a single building. That was a lot of land! Could have made into into a campus, like the development down the block, Burnett Bayland Home located at 5500 Clarewood Dr.

N4U7gPT.jpg

The road and single building:

SVYDTfQ.jpg

Here's the Bayland Boys Home on October 8, 1922.

I0CGNDJ.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Bayland Orphans Home At 6400 Old Richmond Rd.