Interchange for 225 to E. Beltway 8

hindesky

This interchange is a major bottleneck for both 225 traffic and Beltway 8 traffic since there is no interchange. If you wanted to get on 225 from Beltway 8 you had to get off the freeway and ride the feeder where a traffic light backed up traffic on to Beltway and 225 or vice a versa. Traffic backs up for miles during rush hour. I used to drive this daily and wondered why there were no plans for an interchange, now there is.

"An interchange between the Sam Houston Tollway and Texas 225 – a missing merger that forces thousands of trucks annually into stop-and-go traffic – is set for construction next year now that the state and toll officials have a deal for the full complement of ramps.

The Texas Transportation Commission on Thursday approved an amended agreement with the Harris County Toll Road Authority. The agreement allows HCTRA to build the interchange and connect to Texas 225 on state-owned land. HCTRA will complete the project using its money and then recoup the cost, as it is does on all its roads, by charging tolls to drivers.

The Texas Department of Transportation will pay none of the estimated $414 million cost, said Humberto Gonzalez, director of transportation planning and programming for TxDOT, but freeway drivers – notably truck drivers headed to and from Port Houston and other nearby locations – benefit."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/texas-225-hctra-tollway-txdot-interchange-18496211.php

FKoP4sq.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is hilarious I was just thinking about this the other day how long overdue this is this project is a big deal it's going to relieve a whole lot of congestion over there! They need to work on 45 South and 610 next I know they just built the new ramps but that spot is terrible.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

This is hilarious I was just thinking about this the other day how long overdue this is this project is a big deal it's going to relieve a whole lot of congestion over there! They need to work on 45 South and 610 next I know they just built the new ramps but that spot is terrible.

What needs to be worked on? I used to work right there, and it was a mess. But not longer after I retired, they opened all the new ramps/interchanges, and I thought that improved things. But since I don't drive it daily any more, I don't really know.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, astrohip said:

What needs to be worked on? I used to work right there, and it was a mess. But not longer after I retired, they opened all the new ramps/interchanges, and I thought that improved things. But since I don't drive it daily any more, I don't really know.

Thanks.

Its most likely the left hand entrances and exits that screw up the flow of traffic there.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 4:20 PM, kennyc05 said:

I expect the left hand entrances and exits to be moved to the right hand side as part of the project to rebuild 45 South from 69 to the Beltway. There's a PEL that should be finishing up this year underway.

Gulf Freeway PEL Study

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, samagon said:

no doubt TXDoT will say it needs to be expanded to 5 lanes of traffic in each direction with 4 managed lanes. 

rather than questioning the idiocy, everyone will nod their heads because they can't imagine any other way.

It does there's not even shoulders on some stretches and the pavement is in bad condition. Also the exit to Hobby Broadway that intersection is a mess 😵‍💫

13 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

It does there's not even shoulders on some stretches and the pavement is in bad condition. Also the exit to Hobby Broadway that intersection is a mess 😵‍💫

Hobby is about the only reason I drive the Gulf Fwy any more, and yes, this exit could use some serious redesigning.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Hobby is about the only reason I drive the Gulf Fwy any more, and yes, this exit could use some serious redesigning.

Yeah it's terrible. I have a feeling they'll probably have to take some right away I'm assuming some homes because they are definitely going to reconstruct that interchange.

at the peril of ruining my 'back way' into Hobby from downtown area..

do not exit Broadway. stay on Gulf Freeway for 1 more exit, turn right on Monroe, then right on Airport.

skipping Broadway and taking Monroe to Airport is exactly the same time.

or go crazy and exit Reveille, it takes a minute longer than going Broadway or Monroe, but you are off the freeway faster.

Edited by samagon

9 hours ago, samagon said:

do not exit Broadway. stay on Gulf Freeway for 1 more exit, turn right on Monroe, then right on Airport.

If I'm going at off-peak times, I use Broadway. But if there's more traffic, I usually use the Monroe/Airport way. It's rarely as crowded as Broadway. And either way still has the overpass into the terminal that bypasses the light. I also frequently use the Jet Aviation terminal, and Monroe leads directly there.

Edited by astrohip