Midtown Club/Bar Scene

Hey yall! Native Houstonian here tryin to keep up with all the nightlife progress...

So let me see if I have this straight so far, sorry for the disjointed topics!:

* Joia is now Touch --> anybody been to the newly renovated place?

* Licor Lounge is closed?

* With the opening of Next, what are your thoughts on developments in the warehouse district?

* What's up with the snooty Miami/NY attitude from door dudes at some of the popular clubs? With the myriad of places to go to now, how can they afford to be so discriminating? Hellooo, this is Htown!! :P

What's the scoop on Next?

I love the old place. Are the DJs as good?

Don't know about the old place... From what I've seen and heard about Next is inconsistent, but overall OK. Before I went there, it sounded like the next hot spot. When I actually went, it was fair. Environment and decor is awesome (check out the hanging box of dancing girls above one of the bars). Clientele is mixed, drink prices average. Good dance floor, dj was spinning popular hiphop and some old beats, lots of lounge areas.

Cool. I can't remember the name of the old place, but it was more Techno. No hip-hop.

Too much Xn going on, and the cops put the hurt on the place. I miss it.

At Next I read in HP "the boys dance with boys and the girls dance with girls". Thought that was a funny observation.

But to answer your question, I hope to see more clubs on this side of town.

This may date me, but Kattlehuck and Cabaret Voltaire set the standard for hard-core clubs in this area. It was at McKinney @ LiveOak. I think it's Infernal Bridgeroom productions today.

Edited by MidtownCoog

Last time I was in H-town circa Labor Day Weekend 2005, I didn't get to cruise down W. Gray where the former Blowfish and all those neat places are/were.

How is that part of Midtown lately?

What is that block like nowadays on a Friday or Saturday evening? Is there decent enough foot traffic? Is it something like Shepherd Plaza with traditional sidewalks and parallel parking?

• 2 weeks later...
* Licor Lounge is closed?
Yes... maybe 6 months ago? It's now a38 bar - they had their Grand Opening this past weekend. Heard it's supposed to be a "lounge" with no dance floor, but the music is super loud...
Last time I was in H-town circa Labor Day Weekend 2005, I didn't get to cruise down W. Gray where the former Blowfish and all those neat places are/were.

How is that part of Midtown lately?

What is that block like nowadays on a Friday or Saturday evening? Is there decent enough foot traffic? Is it something like Shepherd Plaza with traditional sidewalks and parallel parking?

Blowfish is now simply "Fish." Still a good restaurant. The foot traffic is good... people can start the night at Fish or Farrago's, have dessert/coffee at Coco's (yummy!), have a few drinks at Komodo's or Front Porch before heading out for the night.

Cyclone Anaya's is putting a restaurant in on the corner there.

Across the CVS parking lot is deco, a lounge/coffee house... with no smoking inside! (love that)

Sammy's is down the street at 2016 Main where Sidelines used to be. Great live band dance place.

The old Seven... in the Post Midtown Lofts is now Christian's Tailgate, which I don't know anything about. I heard something about beer, live music, and burgers?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes... maybe 6 months ago? It's now a38 bar - they had their Grand Opening this past weekend. Heard it's supposed to be a "lounge" with no dance floor, but the music is super loud...

a38 does have a dance floor, and a wood one at that, it's just not segmented in any way from the rest of the club like a lot of places. I think they got a little carried away with the sound system on opening weekend, but it's running at a more reasonable level now.

The music ranges from lounge/house/dance to 80's club classics and new wave; last Saturday there was a good crowd and a dance floor going right up until close. You won't hear any hip hop or rap at this place.

• 2 months later...

* What's up with the snooty Miami/NY attitude from door dudes at some of the popular clubs? With the myriad of places to go to now, how can they afford to be so discriminating? Hellooo, this is Htown!! :P

I clearly know what you are talking about. Just go to that place ESCOBAR, and you get that kind of attitude from the doorman. The funny thing is that the club can be completely empty and the doorman will not let anybody get in.

• The title was changed to Midtown Club/Bar Scene