Downtown Austin - UT MDAnderson Cancer Center

strickn

Announced yesterday:

"The two new hospitals [a comprehensive cancer center and a different specialty hospital] will be located at the former site of the Frank Erwin Center. In May, UT Austin President Jay Hartzell announced plans to tear down the arena, an effort he said would begin this summer and conclude by September 2024.

UT officials estimated construction would begin in 2026, with a 2029 or 2030 opening date for the hospitals. As work on the facilities progresses, Hartzell said, UT and MD Anderson will consider how the new hospitals can work with the Ascension-operated Dell Seton Medical Center, which is also on the Dell Medical School campus.

Hartzell also said the estimated $2.5 billion investment will advance Austin’s standing as a hub for medical and life science innovation."

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2023/08/15/459494/ut-unveils-plans-for-two-hospitals-on-austin-campus-including-md-anderson-cancer-center/

• Like 3

Has the rebuilding of the burned Governors' Mansion completed or can we still move it to a new one in San Angelo (to cut down on the amount of temptation of spending one's years in office attending many press conferences to announce to gratified Austinites that the state's public PUF endowment is funding them even more local tchotchkes)?

Edited by strickn
  • Confused 2

HAIF no longer lets me edit that post so I'll just add offtopic that Wisconsin, Tennessee, Ohio and New Jersey all have their governors' residences inside a city that is not their state capital (link below).  With Texas being like a whole other country it would be appropriate not to centralize everything and give Austin a big head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Governor's_Mansion

On 8/21/2023 at 2:05 PM, strickn said:

Has the rebuilding of the burned Governors' Mansion completed or can we still move it to a new one in San Angelo (to cut down on the amount of temptation of spending one's years in office attending many press conferences to announce to gratified Austinites that the state's public PUF endowment is funding them even more local tchotchkes)?

Yeah, I think it was completed ten or so years ago

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, strickn said:

HAIF no longer lets me edit that post so I'll just add offtopic that Wisconsin, Tennessee, Ohio and New Jersey all have their governors' residences inside a city that is not their state capital (link below).  With Texas being like a whole other country it would be appropriate not to centralize everything and give Austin a big head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Governor's_Mansion

You can edit your post for only a few minutes after you hit the submit button, not sure exactly how many minutes though.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...