Downtowner Motor Inn At 1015 Texas Ave.

FilioScotia

of a 1940 street guide of the central core of of downtown bounded by the big bayou to the north, Clay on the south, Austin to the east & Bagby/I-45 to the west.

Really kool map guide as it gives names of ALL known merchants @ that time + several Corp's announced plans to build high rise Bldg's. Can you just imagine the research that went into making this guide map?

A couple of Q's @ this time if I may. Does anyone remember this {The Downtowner} Company ? Danny

Did you say a 1940 street guide shows I-45 on the west side of downtown? I-45 didn't exist in 1940. The northbound highway out of town at that time was US 75, most of which later became I-45. I suspect I have completely misunderstood what you were intending to say.

You also ask if anybody remembers a "Downtowner"? Until the 1980s, there was a Downtowner Motor Inn on Main Street at Commerce, right alongside Allen's Landing. It wasn't a fleabag, or even an old hotel. In fact I think it was built in the 1950s.

• 2 months later...

I have a copy of the 1940 Downtowner as well. I don't know if it was published every year. Here's part:

SEdowntown.jpg

You also ask if anybody remembers a "Downtowner"? Until the 1980s, there was a Downtowner Motor Inn on Main Street at Commerce, right alongside Allen's Landing. It wasn't a fleabag, or even an old hotel. In fact I think it was built in the 1950s.

The Downtowner Motor Inn was on Texas at Fannin, next to what is now the Binz Building. The one on Main at Commerce was the Continental Houston Hotel. It opened in October 1962.