Ingrando Home For Children At 5151 South Park Blvd.

ggmsmolly

The house at 5151 (originally South Park Dr.)  MLK belonged to my late grandmother and her first husband, Herbert Tartt and Bernice Tartt. When she married my grandfather in the 50s, he moved into the big white house along with my step-grandmother's mother-in-law Tartt.  We had such wonderful memories of that house.  It had two living rooms, two dining rooms, two kitchens and baths downstairs, a large den that  my grandfather added along the back of the house.  Upstairs it had 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms on each side of the house separated by attic space.  There was a replica play house in the back and the yardman, Sam, had living quarters in the backyard as well.  It also had a 6 car garage.  The house was original white washed brick.  It has since been restored to it's original brick and home to the Church of the Black Madonna I believe.  It was Frank Ingrando Orphanage after my grandparents moved to Piney Point off of Memorial on Tynebridge Lane. https://www.google.com/maps/place/5151+mlk/@29.7042898,-95.3341356,3a,75y,103.1h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s3YbKEuXlRciNjYAm-b8k7Q!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8640be3f9d36894d:0x7a3983724aa678d0?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjyjv_DnKXWAhVM5WMKHalFCw0QxB0IKDAA

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I was in Ingrando house after the county took it over and it was for troubled teens. It was around 1975 when it was in the big mansion on South Park. I still have photos from that time but none of the actual front of the building. I was in Burnett Bayland before that. It was actually not a bad time. 

Archived