633 W 20th St

629 W 20th St and 633 W 20th St are owned by Shawn Bermudez. He is the proprietor of The Burger Joint and The Taco Joint restaurants.

It's possible another restaurant is in planning for 633 W 20th St. I don't know what the concept may be. As for the name of the restaurant, it may be The Eatery. 

A few months ago, I mentioned plans for a new yet-to-be-named dining concept. I didn't know the restaurant's location at the time, but it's likely going to open at 633 W 20th St: 

On 5/1/2023 at 12:43 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

From what I've observed, Shawn Bermudez seems to have a full plate. He and his team are working on a slew of new projects. It could be he's pouring more money into those to get those up and running very soon. Who knows?

I know Bermudez is renovating his Montrose bar & grill concept Present Company. He's also gearing up to open Roswell Saloon before the summertime. I think he recently signed a lease for a Memorial outpost of The Burger Joint, plus he's planning another one in either the Rice Village or Upper Kirby area. And his team is building a new The Taco Stand in Webster. He's also working on another new yet-to-be-named dining concept. And that's all on top of The Pizza Place, Happy Go Lucky, and the likely Montrose outpost of The Taco Stand.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47329-the-pizza-place-2124-n-shepherd-dr/?do=findComment&comment=678998

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/8/2023 at 5:05 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

629 W 20th St and 633 W 20th St are owned by Shawn Bermudez. He is the proprietor of The Burger Joint and The Taco Joint restaurants.

It's possible another restaurant is in planning for 633 W 20th St. I don't know what the concept may be. As for the name of the restaurant, it may be The Eatery. 

A few months ago, I mentioned plans for a new yet-to-be-named dining concept. I didn't know the restaurant's location at the time, but it's likely going to open at 633 W 20th St: 

Someone messaged me about the post regarding plans for 633 W 20th St's conversion to a restaurant. I was sent a screenshot from a Facebook group showing some doubting what was shared here. A few claimed this property isn't going to become a restaurant and it's not certain what may become of the property. 

And they're right. It's not definite because the proprietor hasn't announced anything. 

However, as I mentioned before, plans for this new concept have been on my radar since the spring. I noticed an entity filing pertaining to this restaurant earlier this year. This was before it was officially approved and filed with the state.  Since then, I've been keeping an eye on where this new dining concept may land.

In recent weeks, a DBA filing was submitted for this restaurant. The filing states the name of the restaurant as The Eatery. It also lists the address of the business as 633 W 20th St. 

As some may remember, I used to have a blog and website devoted to restaurants and bars in Houston. My blog opened the door for other opportunities to cover our city's restaurants. I freelanced a little for Zagat and Houstonia. Also, I was the editor of Eater Houston. It's because of my love for food, I like to keep up with where and what to eat (or drink) around town.

While there is no official announcement regarding a restaurant for 633 W 20th St yet, that doesn't mean it's not happening. There were no official announcements for some of Bermudez's other concepts even while they were under construction. However,  DBA filings, TDLR filings, alcohol permits, and building permits indicated plans.

I suspect in the coming months, there will be a TDLR filing for The Eatery followed by building permits. As for an official announcement from the owner and his publicist, who knows? But rest assure there will be news about this eventually.

8lpYm02.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

In the permit database are several permits submitted in April for 629 W 20th St (629 1/2 w 20th St is the address on the permits):

• C1 Duplicate CO or Change of Owner
  • Development Plats
  • Grading and Filling
  • Drainage

The project description notes it's for commercial site work/paving for structures other than buildings. In other words, it's for the parking lot.

Maybe the parking lot will be repaved for the planned restaurant on the next lot at 633 W 20th St? I don't know for sure.

RoYsrDN.png

On 7/8/2023 at 5:05 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 7/21/2023 at 10:14 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Someone messaged me about the post regarding plans for 633 W 20th St's conversion to a restaurant. I was sent a screenshot from a Facebook group showing some doubting what was shared here. A few claimed this property isn't going to become a restaurant and it's not certain what may become of the property. 

And they're right. It's not definite because the proprietor hasn't announced anything. 

However, as I mentioned before, plans for this new concept have been on my radar since the spring. I noticed an entity filing pertaining to this restaurant earlier this year. This was before it was officially approved and filed with the state.  Since then, I've been keeping an eye on where this new dining concept may land.

In recent weeks, a DBA filing was submitted for this restaurant. The filing states the name of the restaurant as The Eatery. It also lists the address of the business as 633 W 20th St. 

As some may remember, I used to have a blog and website devoted to restaurants and bars in Houston. My blog opened the door for other opportunities to cover our city's restaurants. I freelanced a little for Zagat and Houstonia. Also, I was the editor of Eater Houston. It's because of my love for food, I like to keep up with where and what to eat (or drink) around town.

While there is no official announcement regarding a restaurant for 633 W 20th St yet, that doesn't mean it's not happening. There were no official announcements for some of Bermudez's other concepts even while they were under construction. However,  DBA filings, TDLR filings, alcohol permits, and building permits indicated plans.

I suspect in the coming months, there will be a TDLR filing for The Eatery followed by building permits. As for an official announcement from the owner and his publicist, who knows? But rest assure there will be news about this eventually.

8lpYm02.jpg

Below is what's rumored for 633 W 20th St.

As previously mentioned, a dining concept possibly named The Eatery is planned here.  It's one of several forthcoming food and beverage concepts from the proprietor of The Burger Joint, The Taco Stand, and Pistolero's.

The update was shared by @hindesky in another topic:

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked with the same guy as before, he is an electrician who works on all of Shawn Bermudez projects... He also said the two houses on 20th St. belong to Shawn and will become a coffee shop.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47300-2102-n-shepherd-dr/?do=findComment&comment=684552

11 hours ago, hindesky said:

I talked with the same guy as before, he is an electrician who works on all of Shawn Bermudez projects... He also said the two houses on 20th St. belong to Shawn and will become a coffee shop.

@hindesky I know you're referring to 633 W 20th St, but are you also referring to 637 W 20th St? 637 W 20th St is the house between The Burger Joint and 633 W 20th St.

If that's one of the two houses the contractor is referring to, I'm not certain that's accurate. County records indicate 637 W 20th St is owned by someone else. Whereas 633 W 20th St. is owned by The Burger Joint proprietor.

It's possible he may lease 637 W 20th St, but the LoopNet listing linked below indicates it's an office space. The listing also states it's leased, though it's always a possibility the listing isn't up-to-date.

I think it's only 633 W 20th St and the adjoining lot at 629 W 20th St that will become the home to another forthcoming Bermudez F&B concept. Both properties are owned by Bermudez.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/637-W-20th-St-Houston-TX/28797265/

OKjszAQ.jpg

57 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

It's possible he may lease 637 W 20th St, but the LoopNet listing linked below indicates it's an office space. The listing also states it's leased, though it's always a possibility the listing isn't up-to-date.

My apologies @hindesky. I misread the listing. 637 W 20th St is for sale.

https://partnersrealestate.com/listings/?propertyId=637-w-20-th-st-houston-sale

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2023 at 12:39 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

County records indicate Shawn Bermudez (The Burger Joint, The Taco Stand) acquired 637 W 20th St in October.

In a recent article announcing The Pizza Place coming to 2124 N Shepherd Dr next year, the restaurant's co-owner alluded to another dining concept in the works:

"'...we have a concept in the works where I will be able to veer outside of the box more.' Stayed tuned for more details on that unnamed project."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/the-pizza-place-restaurant-heights/

I think the unnamed concept is the one planned for 633 W 20th St (and likely the recently acquired 637 W 20th St property.)

As noted in previous posts, restaurateur Shawn Bermudez and chef Matthew Pak have plans for a restaurant at 633 W 20th St. A trade name filing indicates the restaurant's name could possibly be The Eatery.

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2023 at 3:39 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below are details from the sales listing and flyer for 637 W 20th St.

As mentioned, the property was purchased in October by the proprietor of The Burger Joint, The Taco Stand, and Pistolero's.

• Property Type: Office
  • Property Subtype: Industrial Live/Work Unit
  • Building Size: 2,320 SF
  • Building Class: C
  • Year Built: 2007
  • Tenancy: Multiple
  • Building Height: 1 Story
  • Typical Floor Size: 2,320 SF
  • Building FAR: 0.36
  • Land Acres: 0.15 AC  

Additional property features:

• 2,320 sf total
  • 1,120 sf office area
  • 1,200 sf warehouse
  • 2 oversized grade level doors
  • Cross dock with drive through access
  • Office building fronts W. 20th St. 
  • 150 feet from Shepherd and W. 20th St intersection 

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/LxX_ccQoQXtDBadnJDwraTlaW_SECLx3yJyicNp0W_Y/Marketing BrochureFlyer.pdf

A proposed subdivision plat named Heights Eats was submitted to city's planning department on Friday. The plat consists of the 633 W 20th St and 637 W 20th parcels.

According to the information submitted, developers the plat's purpose is to create one unrestricted reserve "A". The reserve size is 0.30 acres. I'm not sure when this will appear on the city of Houston Planning Commission agenda.

mI1DNJw.jpg

WRRt7J1.jpg

lfrWKhb.jpg

5 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A proposed subdivision plat named Heights Eats was submitted to city's planning department on Friday. The plat consists of the 633 W 20th St and 637 W 20th parcels.

According to the information submitted, developers the plat's purpose is to create one unrestricted reserve "A". The reserve size is 0.30 acres. I'm not sure when this will appear on the city of Houston Planning Commission agenda.

mI1DNJw.jpg

WRRt7J1.jpg

lfrWKhb.jpg

As mentioned in above posts , the proprietors of The Burger Joint and The Taco Stand have plans for a new dining concept on the 633 W 20th St and 637 W 20th St parcels. The name of the business could be The Eatery.

In regards to the concept, @hindesky notes a construction worker relayed possible plans for a coffee shop. CultureMap recently spoke with one of the co-owners. The co-owner stated:

"'...we have a concept in the works where I will be able to veer outside of the box more.' 

The restaurant or location wasn't provided in the article. However, it's likely the concept will be located on the aforementioned parcels.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

mI1DNJw.jpg

WRRt7J1.jpg

lfrWKhb.jpg

The proposed Heights Eats subdivision plat now appears on the Plat Tracker page. It's classified as a Class 2 subdivision replat. However, for some reason, the plat isn't accessible at the moment. Maybe this will be on the next planning commission agenda?

As mentioned in the above quoted post, the plat consists of the 633 W 20th St and 637 W 20th parcels. 

A restaurant or some kind of food and/or beverage concept is planned for the property.  

• Like 1

The proposed plat is on the Planning Commission's website but when I click on it, it says......

"\\\\GISPROWEB04P\\PlatTracker/2024/Applications/2024-0008/SubdivisionPlatPDF_23-1173_633 file does not exist!"

YCGWA7I.jpg

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

The proposed plat is on the Planning Commission's website but when I click on it, it says......

"\\\\GISPROWEB04P\\PlatTracker/2024/Applications/2024-0008/SubdivisionPlatPDF_23-1173_633 file does not exist!"

Yep, I know. That's why I noted it's not accessible at the moment:

👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿

On 1/16/2024 at 1:15 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The proposed Heights Eats subdivision plat now appears on the Plat Tracker page. It's classified as a Class 2 subdivision replat. However, for some reason, the plat isn't accessible at the moment. Maybe this will be on the next planning commission agenda?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2023 at 7:05 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 7/22/2023 at 12:14 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

There is an interesting nugget in the plan review notes for 633 W 20th St.

In the notes under the utility review, the reviewer makes a request for the addresses of each restaurant be included in the master site plan. It's possible there may be two concepts here: one for 633 W 20th St and the other for 637 W 20th St. I suppose more details will be revealed whenever an official announcement is released.

Unfortunately, key details from uploaded construction documents are no longer included in the notes. This is a change that seems to have taken place in January. Those details provided in the notes were informative.  I'm uncertain why that's no longer available.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 4:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

mI1DNJw.jpg

WRRt7J1.jpg

lfrWKhb.jpg

Below is the proposed subdivision plat Heights Eats. This consists of the following parcels:

• 633 W 20th St
  • 637 W 20th St

The proposed plat is on the agenda for this week's planning commission meeting.

QG83cao.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 1/15/2024 at 4:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

mI1DNJw.jpg

WRRt7J1.jpg

lfrWKhb.jpg

12 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is the proposed subdivision plat Heights Eats. This consists of the following parcels:

• 633 W 20th St
  • 637 W 20th St

The proposed plat is on the agenda for this week's planning commission meeting.

QG83cao.jpg

A proposed subdivision plat with variance request for 633 W 20th St and 637 W 20th St is on this week's planning commission's agenda. The name of the proposed subdivision plat is Heights Eats.

Below is the text from the notice of variance letter sent to area residents:

The Planning and Development Department has received a subdivision plat application with a variance request for a property located along W 20th Street, east of N Shepherd Drive, and west of Lawrence Street.

...DVJ Civil Engineering and Land Surveying, LLC, the applicant, has filed the request on behalf of the developer of the subject site. The applicant is requesting a variance for a reduced building line of 5’ along the public right-of-way of W 20th Street, a major thoroughfare.

Link to the April 18 draft agenda:

https://plattracker.houstontx.gov/edrc/RevDocDefault.aspx?AppID=0&UserID=0&UserRole=0&CycleDocPath=2024\2024-08_DraftAgenda.pdf

04uDJP9.jpg

Posted (edited)

There is a proposed site plan for the forthcoming restaurant(s) planned for 633 W 20th St. This is included in materials submitted with the subdivision plat and variance request application.

As mentioned, restaurateur Shawn Bermudez and business partner Matthew Pak are planning a restaurant on the property.

The name of the business could be The Eatery. That's been speculated many times throughout this topic based on the trade name filing. However, the name is included on submitted design documents. I suppose we'll know for sure whenever the owners are ready to make an official announcement.

Cisneros Design Studio is the architect of record for the project.

Below are further details based on the provided site plan:

• The existing structure at 633 W 20th St will house the restaurant.

• There is also a proposed 2,316-square-foot structure addition near the alleyway. It is located behind the existing building at 633 W 20th St. It's possible this is the second restaurant or food & beverage business mentioned in the notes located in the plan review inspection report (noted here a few posts up).

• A 2,500-square-foot patio is proposed for a portion of the 637 W 20th St property. The property is next door to The Burger Joint at 2002 N Shepherd Dr. 

• It appears the existing structure on the 637 W 20th property will be demolished to make way for the patio and additional parking. The site plan shows at least 16 parking spaces.

• It appears there may be at least 15 parking spaces on the 633 W 20th St parcel, next to proposed restaurant.

• At least 31 parking spaces could be located on the parking lot at 629 W 20th St. The property is adjacent to 633 W 20th St.

psgrfmT.jpg