Need To Find A Custom Home Builder!

felamy

Hello,

This is my first post as I had stumbled upon this site while searching for a builder for my home. With all the useful information that is exchanged here I thought maybe someone on here could help me.

Construction for my family's new home was to start in a couple months but our builder backed out of our contract because his estimate came short and he wanted more money but we weren't going to give it to him. Now I am stuck with an empty lot and a floorplan that I had overpaid for. Even though all of this trouble is giving me a headache I would still like to have it built. His price for construction was $XX.00 a square foot for a home with 5000+ sq. ft of living space, stucco, Monier Tile roof and a decent amount of allowances. I was suprised by his low cost but they had built in my neighborhood and the Architectural Review Committee allows only quality custom builders.

After researching and emailing every builder I hear of, I find that someone on here could send me in the right direction. Pricing is a major concern and of course so is quality and service. For now, I would like meet a good builder who I can afford that builds in the Spring area and has good references. Can anyone help me?

Edited by felamy

It may be that you have an unrealistic expectation as to price. The hurricanes have caused a surge in the cost of lumber, concrete and other building materials. If you have talked to numerous builders without getting a price you are comfortable with, you may need to lower your expectations.

To lower the price of construction, you can take two approaches. One is to use less expensive fixtures and finishes. The other is to decrease the size of the house. Personally, I would build a smaller house, while keeping the the finishes of the quality that I prefer. A smaller, but high quality house is much more desirable than a larger, lower quality one.

I know a few builders who build good houses, but I suspect that they aren't the cheapest in town. PM me, if you would like their numbers.

Hello,

This is my first post as I had stumbled upon this site while searching for a builder for my home. With all the useful information that is exchanged here I thought maybe someone on here could help me.

Construction for my family's new home was to start in a couple months but our builder backed out of our contract because his estimate came short and he wanted more money but we weren't going to give it to him. Now I am stuck with an empty lot and a floorplan that I had overpaid for. Even though all of this trouble is giving me a headache I would still like to have it built. His price for construction was $XX.00 a square foot for a home with 5000+ sq. ft of living space, stucco, Monier Tile roof and a decent amount of allowances. I was suprised by his low cost but they had built in my neighborhood and the Architectural Review Committee allows only quality custom builders.

After researching and emailing every builder I hear of, I find that someone on here could send me in the right direction. Pricing is a major concern and of course so is quality and service. For now, I would like meet a good builder who I can afford that builds in the Spring area and has good references. Can anyone help me?

I just completed construction in the Heights and was very happy with the final product. Tom Tynan Homes was the builder. If you would like to discuss the ups and downs I would be happy to talk with you about my experience.

Thanks for all of your information. I understand that prices have gone up since the hurricanes and figured I would like to build a larger quality home as I can always upgrade the fixtures and the flooring thus my approach for limited allowances.

I have checked out GHBA and it has surplus of information and contacts of custom builders. I had also tried the BBB and searched for all the home builders who are listed.

I have heard that building a home is a headache. This will be my first custom home, is there anything that I should look out for?

Thanks for all of your information. I understand that prices have gone up since the hurricanes and figured I would like to build a larger quality home as I can always upgrade the fixtures and the flooring thus my approach for limited allowances.

I have checked out GHBA and it has surplus of information and contacts of custom builders. I had also tried the BBB and searched for all the home builders who are listed.

I have heard that building a home is a headache. This will be my first custom home, is there anything that I should look out for?

As with any business agreement communication is the key. Get to know the builder and the construction manager assigned to your project VERY well. Review the budget vs. actual on a monthly basis. I didn't demand this and it caused a lot of headaches. The more you know about construction the more of a headache it will be because you know what to look for. Do a soil report on your lot. Have an engineer design the foundation. Do not depend on the builder to tell you what foundation design is needed.

Listen to Tom Tynan on Saturday and Sunday mornings beginning at 8:00 a.m. on AM 610. He received his architectural degree in Florida and is building in Houston. Very informative. It will scare the heck out of you if you are looking at tract homes.

Hello,

what area are you building in?

I am a subvendor for many custom builders, and i would be glad to give you input as to each one, as well as give you opinions in the field about any ones that i do not deal with.

As with any business agreement communication is the key. Get to know the builder and the construction manager assigned to your project VERY well. Review the budget vs. actual on a monthly basis. I didn't demand this and it caused a lot of headaches. The more you know about construction the more of a headache it will be because you know what to look for. Do a soil report on your lot. Have an engineer design the foundation. Do not depend on the builder to tell you what foundation design is needed.

Listen to Tom Tynan on Saturday and Sunday mornings beginning at 8:00 a.m. on AM 610. He received his architectural degree in Florida and is building in Houston. Very informative. It will scare the heck out of you if you are looking at tract homes.

Don't think for one minute that shoddy building exists only in tract homes. Whether your home is $80,000 or $8,000,000 the defects are there. I have spoken to people with homes in the hundreds of thousands and even one well over a million and their homes are nightmares with everything from cracked foundations, to water intrusion through walls, doors etc. Doesn't matter the builder ither, the defects will probably be there. You can do your homework but nothing is promised even with the best of inspectors.

I know of a famous athlete that had a huge home built. He didn't even know how defective the house was until someone pointed out so many of the defects. How much do you think that home was worth?

I have been waiting to hear about the Tom Tynan Homes. I would think they would be a pretty safe bet.

I would also say know what you are signing when they put that contract in front of you. Spend a few bucks if you have to and get an attorney to explain the horrors of arbitration that will be in your contract. Just know what you are doing and signing. Don't let any smiling salesperson who gets friendly with you throw you off the beaten track.