Krispy Kreme Ends Houston Franchisee

Shipley's for me is preferable to Krispy.

But I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts...it was great doughnut times for me when I was a kid up north.

Mmmmm.... I LOVE DD. :wub:

I don't eat doughnuts really, but when I am back east I have to get a frosted blueberry cake donut from Dunkin'. Not to mention people obsess about their ice and regular coffee and say it's better than Starshmucks for 1/4 the price!

I bet Shipley's would get a hell of a lot more business at the McKinney Garage than KK.

I heard this morning that KK does plan to open more stores in a couple of years. I think that the contract is up for Lone Star, and they feel that they can survive without the name, and I'm sure KK wanted more money for the use of the name.

Wow 36 posts on donuts. The metro federal money got denied, semipro is out there saying Houston is ranked 3,405,687th on places to live in the world, and Plastic is out there making up new threads that make everyone question their sanity (living on mars is the newest one).

I'm impressed when it all comes down to it, we are simple animals at heart.

Wow 36 posts on donuts. The metro federal money got denied, semipro is out there saying Houston is ranked 3,405,687th on places to live in the world, and Plastic is out there making up new threads that make everyone question their sanity (living on mars is the newest one).

I'm impressed when it all comes down to it, we are simple animals at heart.

Somebody get this guy a donut and a coffee STAT !

I love Krispy Kreme! I'm sorry to see them leave Houston. Hopefully it will be temporary and they will find another franchisee, although Krispy Kreme corporate has so many management issues it may be a tough sell.

If you read the actual articles on this, it's not because they weren't doing enough business. It's all over a dispute between the local franchisee and Krispy Kreme's corporate management. The franchisee has not once been quoted saying they weren't doing a good business. Even the downtown location, which some of you described as dead, and not open late enough, does well. I've been past there in the mornings when they were sending out a ton of donuts to downtown businesses. The place doesn't have to be packed with customers sitting there eating donuts to be making money. And I have been in there several times on Friday evenings well after 4:00 PM before Astros games. Maybe they've recently started closing earlier, but I've been in that location with my parents when they were staying at the Hilton Americas to get donuts at about 8:00 PM on a Friday night within the last 12 months.

Oh well. I work in a lot of cities where Krispy Kreme is still around, so when I get the craving for one it shouldn't be too hard to satisfy it. Maybe I should start an underground business importing them back to Houston from other states, although they would be a little hard to carry on the plane with me.

• 3 years later...

They promised to come back right away, but now it's been over 3 years. I email them every year...Shipleys is just terrible compared to Krispy Kreme. Anyone heard anything about them coming back?

I know this is an old thread...but I came upon it with a yahoo search.

Archived