Savannah Club: Multifamily At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

MikeRichardson

That article makes it seem like the whole place is being torn down. Only the land on the east side of the street is contiguous with River Oaks District. AFAIK the west side buildings haven't been sold although I'm sure they are for sale.

Also, I found this interesting obituary about a Mr. Harvey R. Houck Jr. http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Harvey-Houck%2c&lc=2220&pid=146111217&mid=4414454

Mr. Houck returned to Houston to join his father in his residential real estate business and eventually forged a successful partnership with long-time friend, Charles R. Swain. The two went on to develop numerous commercial real estate projects that included apartment buildings and shopping centers that truly defined the era in which they were built and continue to maintain their commitment to elegance, aesthetics, maintenance, and permanence today. Most notable among their many developments were Allen House Apartments, Westcreek Apartments, Savannah Club, The Georgian, and the redevelopment of Highland Village Shopping Center.

SWAIN & HOUCK still owns The Georgian apartments, and they also still own the little convenience store across the street from the future River Oaks District, and I think a few bits of Highland Village as well.

"Savannah Club" used to be the newer part of 4444 Westheimer, and I think "Westcreek Apartments" were the older buildings.

Archived