Battleship Texas restoration

editor

Wow, what a great shot! 

OK, I hope this isn't a dumb question. It seems more like common sense to me. Why has the Battleship Texas been kept in water? Why couldn't it have been placed in a permanent dry dock for display after the 1989 restoration? Seems to me that the brackish water has been part of the problem leading to its deterioration. Obviously everything is going to eventually deteriorate no matter what we do, but at least keeping it dry seems like it would solve a part of the problem. IIRC correctly something like that was proposed back in 1989. 

3 hours ago, Firebird65 said:

Wow, what a great shot! 

OK, I hope this isn't a dumb question. It seems more like common sense to me. Why has the Battleship Texas been kept in water? Why couldn't it have been placed in a permanent dry dock for display after the 1989 restoration? Seems to me that the brackish water has been part of the problem leading to its deterioration. Obviously everything is going to eventually deteriorate no matter what we do, but at least keeping it dry seems like it would solve a part of the problem. IIRC correctly something like that was proposed back in 1989. 

Staying in dry dock forever is hard on a ship, as they are designed and built to be supported by water on all sides. Staying in dry dock tends to make them bend, then break. It would be better to put Texas into fresh water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2