Chimney Rock Park At 11655 Chimney Rock Rd.

I agree completely about Mr. Antonini. This is actually the second time he has attempted to develop the land in the last 3 years. The first time the Civic Club officers went bonkers that anyone would think about building townhomes on the hallowed ground of Westbury Square. They viewed the development potential as potentially being a blight on Westbury. I still don't see anything wrong with building townhomes as long as they are valued at greater than $400K and they are required to pay dues to the Civic Club.

The biggest issue with redeveloping Westbury Square is the entire piece of land bounded by Burdine/W. Bellfort/Chimeny Rock. There are multiple pieces of land owned by multiple entities and the layout is wonky.

There's a fairly simply solution, but no one seems to want to think logically. Well it's simple to me. Others might agree with all or part. 

Here's my plan. It would require someone with strong COH ties like Ed Wulfe or maybe Weingarten Realty. 

1. The entire triangle sans Home Depot (they evidently own the land the store sits on) needs to be combined into a single plat with a single owner. Then you can do Steps 2 and beyond next.

2. Buy out the Westbury Townhomes and Valero station. Bulldoze for new development. The majority of the townhomes are not owner occupied from what I have been told.

3. Buy Westbury Square and bulldoze.

4. Buy 99 cent shopping center and bulldoze.

5 Buy Chase building and bulldoze.

Now this all sounds radical, but let me continue.

1. To clean up traffic flow realign Burdine to run behind Home Depot. Relocate the bridge to the new intersection. The current Burdine would be closed at Belrose. The a new housing development would be built where the old street was and run to W. Bellfort.

2. Close the existing fire station and relocate to the new plot of land created by realigning Burdine. Face the new Burdine/Chimney Rock intersection.

3. Since Meyer Branch library is slotted for closing and relocation. Build the new library next to the new fire station.

4. Relocate the Platou Center next to new library and build a city park on the remainder of the land. 

5. Given the new alignment of Burdine this would give access to a new shopping complex on the property formerly occupied by Chase and the shopping center. The new retail complex could have a parking garage with first floor retail like Starbucks and the like. Build a new HEB marketplace, PetSmart, Academy, Chase branch, Red Robin, Panera Bread, etc on the piece of land. 

I don't know if it is completely feasible. But someone needs to use some imagination in SW Houston to do something better than nothing.

Archived