A Jenkins Saturday

Willowisp

I just wanted to relate a story...

After weeks of driving by and even occasionally knocking on the door, I finally found someone home at the Jenkins house on Willowgrove (not the one his daughter lives in, but the one with the big carport). It was very nice and still pretty original inside. It has lots of terrazo and the original kitchen (which made my mouth water) and a pool in the backyard. The owner was nice and I told him about Houston Mod. He had heard about this site, and he said he'd check out the Houston Mod site as well... The most interesting thing I learned from him was that the carport that is there now was actually in the original plans for the house but they couldn't afford it at the time so they had the curvy corrugated steel done which you can see in the picture from the 1999 Houston Architectural Guide by Stephen Fox. He had elements in his house that we have in ours, but the house was distinctly original and different than ours and any other Jenkins house I've been in.

We visited for awhile and I was excited enough as I left to call and tell RPS that I had gotten in. He just happened to be at the Jenkins house on Cliffwood around the corner so I ran right over and got to visit that house too! It looks to be going to great owners. Now if we can only save the one at Kirby and Underwood... It's not for sale or anything, but it looks like it needs TLC and it looks like it could be really special.

It was a good day!

Jason

Archived