Extreme Makeover: Home Edition This Sunday

pineda

Red-

Extreme Makeover gives people a new home for free. This Old House and Yankee Workshop doesn't. Big difference, wouldn't you say. Since you brought up those two shows, which I've watched, I've got to say that although they're interesting, they're also fantasty shows. The homes they build on This Old House have to run up into the million dollar range, and NO ONE BUT NORM has that kind of workshop! :lol:

Building a complex structure like a home in a week...that's the kind of quality television I like to see. Built to last, I'm sure.

Give me This Old House or The New Yankee Workshop any day.

Don't be dissin' my boy Ty. With the amount of workers they have building on each project, I can assure you, they are being built right. There is more than 1 supervisor on these builds. Reason one, the house that is picked to be built, will and is a design that the company has built several times before. Framers get to know a house design after building it 5 to 6 times. I have also noticed that alot of the houses they are building now are mostly pre-fab, so they go together like a puzzle, I have considered building MY next house this way also. Having been a builder in the past, I can tell you that some of these pre-fabs are better than using the mostly illegal crews that are running around this town Red.

I apologize, I am a little protective of Ty, he is actually my Hero these days. I know someone else may have come up with the idea of Xtremme M.O., but when I used to watch him on Trading Spaces, he always seemed to go above and beyond to make people happy. The guy is Aces, and I think he is very genuine in real life also.

Sorry, back on target, some of my family lives in Wharton and El Campo, they drove by the house, they say it is nice, there apparently is a steady stream of "looky-loos" also driving by, the "new" will wear off in a couple of weeks after the show has aired I'm sure.

Edited by TJones

What I want to see is a "What does the free fantasy home Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built for you 1 year ago look like now" show.

My other question is, why do they insist on tearing down every home they decide to "make-over"? I understand some homes they agree to make-over are beyond repair, but most are not. Why not renovate those, but still build a new home for some other needy family at the same time?

This Old House at least focuses on renovation & restoration. It also makes a point to attempt to match the neighborhood, and if building a new addition to match the original structure. Unlike This Old House, Extreme Makeover:Home Edition only preaches that new is better, which we all know here at HAIF is almost never true (McMansions, gentrification, sprawl, stucco, etc..)

What I want to see is a "What does the free fantasy home Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built for you 1 year ago look like now" show.

My other question is, why do they insist on tearing down every home they decide to "make-over"? I understand some homes they agree to make-over are beyond repair, but most are not. Why not renovate those, but still build a new home for some other needy family at the same time?

This Old House at least focuses on renovation & restoration. It also makes a point to attempt to match the neighborhood, and if building a new addition to match the original structure. Unlike This Old House, Extreme Makeover:Home Edition only preaches that new is better, which we all know here at HAIF is almost never true (McMansions, gentrification, sprawl, stucco, etc..)

I agree with only one house that should not have been destroyed, and that is last week's house, that "In-ground" house in Idaho, that should have been a "Make-over" and just that. Great design in my book, they didn't need to tear it all down, just add some windows and such.

I LOVE Extreme Home Makeover--it is awesome!! Yes, a bit sappy, but a wonderful idea that has worked! I'm not sure you can really compare the two, because they are appealing to a totally different audience. I like This Old House a lot!

Edited by Parrothead

I agree with only one house that should not have been destroyed, and that is last week's house, that "In-ground" house in Idaho, that should have been a "Make-over" and just that. Great design in my book, they didn't need to tear it all down, just add some windows and such.

YES! I agree. All they had to do was add some damn windows. Instead, the sleeveless wonder had to drop a huge tree down the middle of a perfectly fine home. That's gross negligence if you ask me.

Along with me wanting to see "What does the free fantasy home Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built for you 1 year ago look like now" show, I want to see a wide shot of the houses on eitherside of the made-over McMansion. I'm thinking of one episode they did in Compton in particular.

Edited by Jeebus

YES! I agree. All they had to do was add some damn windows. Instead, the sleeveless wonder had to drop a huge tree down the middle of a perfectly fine home. That's gross negligence if you ask me.

Along with me wanting to see "What does the free fantasy home Extreme Makeover: Home Edition built for you 1 year ago look like now" show, I want to see a wide shot of the houses on eitherside of the made-over McMansion. I'm thinking of one episode they did in Compton in particular.

Actually, that nice lady in the Compton house has appeared on several shows, I am pretty sure her house is holding up just fine. I don't think that her home raised any property values in the area though.

^I went to that. It was in East Bernard, Texas. The family's name is the Kubena's and the husband's sister-in-law teaches at Pope John XXIII High School.

They got the makeover beacuse they have a young two year old daughter named Tara who has lukemia. She could not stay at home because their home is not safe. The have different fumes in the air that would harm her, so Tara stayed at a hospital (not sure which one).

My cousin is a teacher at that Pope John and told me about it. My wife and I both went along with her. The school came out, too (only about 140 students). A lot of students families went, too.

The house looks really nice and has nice stone architecture on it. The neighbors got a free vacation because the tools and set would be on their lawn. I would show you pictures, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Edited by CincoRanch-HoustonResident

^I went to that. It was in East Bernard, Texas. The family's name is the Kubena's and the husband's sister-in-law teaches at Pope John XXIII High School.

They got the makeover beacuse they have a young two year old daughter named Tara who has lukemia. She could not stay at home because their home is not safe. The have different fumes in the air that would harm her, so Tara stayed at a hospital (not sure which one).

My cousin is a teacher at that Pope John and told me about it. My wife and I both went along with her. The school came out, too (only about 140 students). A lot of students families went, too.

The house looks really nice and has nice stone architecture on it. The neighbors got a free vacation because the tools and set would be on their lawn. I would show you pictures, but I don't want to ruin the surprise.

No,No, feel free, ruin it for me, just PM the pics to me. I want to show my wife.

TJ, and others. I haven't watched this show since one of the very first, when they tore up a house and slapped a bad remodel in. Looking at the website, seeing an army of people, hearing that much of it is pre-fab, meaning it really took longer than 7 days to build...I'm less concerned about the junk they may be building.

As for made-for-TV sappiness...please. I've got better things to do. When I need a real-life, American sized dose of sappiness, I look for replays of Maurice Cheeks helping Natalie Gilbert sing the National Anthem.

http://www.blueoregon.com/2005/03/mo_cheeks_and_n.html

Now, THAT's sappiness you can be proud of. :)

TJ, and others. I haven't watched this show since one of the very first, when they tore up a house and slapped a bad remodel in. Looking at the website, seeing an army of people, hearing that much of it is pre-fab, meaning it really took longer than 7 days to build...I'm less concerned about the junk they may be building.

As for made-for-TV sappiness...please. I've got better things to do. When I need a real-life, American sized dose of sappiness, I look for replays of Maurice Cheeks helping Natalie Gilbert sing the National Anthem.

http://www.blueoregon.com/2005/03/mo_cheeks_and_n.html

Now, THAT's sappiness you can be proud of. :)

OK, so you haven't watched in awhile, perhaps a second look would change your mind. Remember, it took you awhile to let that heart get that hard, you mean mean man ! :mellow:

As far as Mo Cheeks and Nat. well, I find it alot funnier when they get these poor girls, who want to sing, out to the hockey ring and start blaring out our National Anthem when they are standing in the middle of Quebec or Vancouver, I freakin LOVE THAT ! Why weren't they prompted to sing Oh Canada ! :lol: