Historic Houston Parks

tmariar

I don't have precise information about the San Felipe/West Dallas name change, but have found a newspaper reference to "West Dallas avenue, which used to be San Felipe road" from February 3, 1923.

There was also discussion earlier in this thread about how Waugh got its name. The information I've found indicates that Waugh was named for Private Tom T. Waugh, who died in World War I, and whose father, T. L. Waugh, was Houston's street and bridge commissioner for some period in the 1920's. The Waugh Drive bridge was built in the early 1920's "to connect Euclid avenue in Hyde Park [later renamed Waugh] with the north side of Buffalo Bayou" and was referred to then as the "Cleveland Park bridge". Fifty-six acres in size, Cleveland Park was the largest of the five city parks in existence in Houston as of 1911 (the others were Sam Houston Park (29 acres), Elizabeth Baldwin Park (2.5 acres), Highland Park (26 acres), and Settegast Park (acreage at the time unknown, but it was small).

Edited by tmariar
  • Like 1