Maplewood Bowling Alley

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Thresher dated August 5, 1943 and came across an article about a club meeting at the Maplewood Bowling Alley.

My question is, where exactly was this? There were bowling alley lanes in the Meyerland/Gulfton area of Maplewood? Was this near Stella Link? I know there were bowling alleys on Bellaire Blvd. and Bissonnet St. I wonder if the write meant those lanes?

Here's the short article:

Last night the members of the Ave Maria Club met at the Maplewood Bowling Alley for a bowling party. All Catholic students are invited to join the club, said the president today.

Z0jMLmu.png

• 2 weeks later...

Might need to access some maps from around 1943 to see exactly what and where Maplewood might have been at that time, to narrow it geographically for searching. I'm sure the Maplewood that I know of was probably a field at that time.

Edited by Gurgis
  • Like 1

Before the early sixties, Lockwood through the Eastwood area was called Maplewood.

The bowling alley could have been on that street.  I know there was a Maplewood Pharmacy at Harrisburg and Maplewood (Lockwood)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gnu said:

Before the early sixties, Lockwood through the Eastwood area was called Maplewood.

The bowling alley could have been on that street.  I know there was a Maplewood Pharmacy at Harrisburg and Maplewood (Lockwood)

1923 directory entries for Maplewood

image.png.79ae08da3f1511f0fe80e74075908378.png

Here's a block book map for Walker at Lockwood showing the street as Maplewood 003070.JPG

• Like 1