Ken Hoffman On Laura Miller & Big D

MidtownCoog

Houston takes experience; Dallas does the write thing

HERE'S how I answered the question, "Why does Houston have its act together, and big things are happening here ... while nothing seems to get done in Dallas?" on a Dallas TV station this week.

I said, "I think you judge a city by the vision and leadership of its mayor. And it's fair to measure a mayor by his or her background and experiences.

"For example, Houston Mayor Bill White was a successful businessman and held key government positions.

"Dallas Mayor Laura Miller was a newspaper columnist. That would be like electing me as mayor. I locked my keys inside my car at the car wash a few weeks ago. You think I can build highways?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...es/3612790.html

Beat me to it.

I disagree with Hoffman in that I think Laura Miller is handicapped by a city council that's filled with self-serving me-first factionalists. Granted, she doesn't appear to be as able as former mayor Ron Kirk, for example, at leading consensus, but the group she's working with seems to be interminably disagreeable.

Edited by The Great Hizzy!