Race Track On Dunlap St. & South Main St.

Highrise Tower

I was looking at Meyer's Speedway on Google Earth and noticed an amazing discovery! There was another, smaller, track that pre-dates Meyer's Speedway! This was located across the street, on South Main Street and Dunlap Street.

I assume this was a trial design track for the forthcoming Meyer's Speedway? Or maybe this was the original track, and since the speedway was such a popular hit they expanded up the road?

In 1953 you can see the track on the left:

zEzopJA.png

In 1978 the track was grown-over with commercial development, and Meyer's Speedway appears across Hillcroft Street.

• The commercial development is the old Woolworth's Department Store (Safeway Grocery?) shopping center?
  • I assume that is Butler Stadium across Meyer's Speedway?
  • There was supposed to be a golf range/course next to Meyer's Speedway on Hillcroft & South Main. Maybe that came soon after?

AH0ccbW.png

Image credit:

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

1953:

4UYEzMs.png

1957:

Looks like there were also two small tracks just outside the Meyer's Speedway. I assume these were test tracks, or maybe fun Go-Kart tracks? Or maybe even spectator seating?

SvX4JNV.png

• Like 1