Circus Circus Restaurant At 6015 Westheimer Rd.

cdenker

Does anyone remember the "Circus Circus" restaurant over at 6015 Westheimer?  It was one of the early Pappas restaurants, during the 80s.  The official name was just "Circus".  But EVERYONE always called it "Circus Circimage.jpeg.729833bd03a9604abbcaf2993fa21437.jpegus".  Does anyone remember why?  

• The title was changed to Circus Circus Restaurant At 6015 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 months later...

Wow, I used to work there in the early 80's. I actually applied for a cook position in 1980 and Chris Pappas hired me to do odd jobs as the restaurant wasn't opened yet. I spent many hours polishing the front brass doors. Once the restaurant opened, Chris moved me to a cook. On the weekends there was an acrobat from Guiana who performed tricks all over the restaurant and a clown making animal balloons for the kids. Really fun place to work!!

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2023 at 5:02 PM, KPB said:

Wow, I used to work there in the early 80's. I actually applied for a cook position in 1980 and Chris Pappas hired me to do odd jobs as the restaurant wasn't opened yet. I spent many hours polishing the front brass doors. Once the restaurant opened, Chris moved me to a cook. On the weekends there was an acrobat from Guiana who performed tricks all over the restaurant and a clown making animal balloons for the kids. Really fun place to work!!

did people call is "Circus Circus" back in the early days?  I'm guessing people called it that because of "Circus Circus" in Vegas, or perhaps because there were two "Circus" signs in the front (left and right side), so people might see that and start calling it "Circus Circus".  In any case, everyone I know including me has always called it "Circus Circus", and I was surprised when I learned the names is only "Circus".

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, cdenker said:

did people call is "Circus Circus" back in the early days?  I'm guessing people called it that because of "Circus Circus" in Vegas, or perhaps because there were two "Circus" signs in the front (left and right side), so people might see that and start calling it "Circus Circus".  In any case, everyone I know including me has always called it "Circus Circus", and I was surprised when I learned the names is only "Circus".

Yeah, it was a common misconception to call it "Circus Circus", but those hipper more in-the-know folks knew it was only Circus. The same kind of people who would eat there during lunch, and cruise the Richmond Strip at night. Y'know, yuppies!