Willowbend Gulf Service At 4201 Willowbend Blvd.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire Texan dated October 1, 1958 and came across a Grand Opening ad for the Willowbend Gulf Service located at 4201 Willowbend Blvd.  Willowbend Blvd at Greenwillow.

Looks like an awesome grand opening celebration.  Clowns, candy, balloons, drinks, prizes, etc.

Owner-Manager: Chris Christoffel

I assume the old service station is where the present-day broken down shack is by the train tracks? That would be closer to Willowbend & Craighead.  The gas station is said to be at Willowbend & Greenwillow. Where those 3-story town homes are.  The address, 4201 Willowbend, puts this in the middle of the NRG utility field.

ENCqoe8.png

SIdESCD.png

Present-Day shack. Looks like it could have been a service station with having those 2 garages and that covered fill-up area.

Edit: The shack has an address of 4125 Willowbend.  Not sure if they are related anymore.

oM3OBU2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Gulf station was at the corner of Greenwillow and Willowbend.  The station was demolished and replaced with the townhomes/apartments that now sit at that corner.  The gas station in the picture was also present back in the day.  I thought it was an Esso station.  We used to get our sodas at that Gulf station when they had wooden crates of glass bottles.

• Like 2