Wells Fargo Texas Medical Center Bank At 6651 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

Does anyone know what this black mid-rise building is? 

I was browsing the Library of Congress for Houston buildings and came across this aerial skyline picture of the Texas Medical Center. I can't seem to figure out what this building is. The black building is located in between the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 6701 South Main and the The O'Quinn Medical Tower at 6624 Fannin.

Is this the Halliburton office and laboratory building? Or the University of Texas Computer Center?  Looks like a different application of building than the rest of the hospitals, etc.

2xVJlEg.png

• Like 1

I always though it was a bank building. It had a Wells Fargo in it before it was demolished. I think they took it out not long after the Crowne Plaza came down.

I know I was there for the implosion of the latter but I don't remember if that black building was still there. I think it was for a bit.

• Like 1

Was it the old Med Center bank?  

It was.  Northwest Bank purchased Med Center Bank, which was later sold to Well Fargo.  The company that "owned" or controlled Northwest Bank sold the bank then but kept the real estate, combined it with the Crowne Plaza, and sold the package (along with and across the street parcel) to Texas Childrens.  This was all in the early 2000's.

Edited by urbgal
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Wells Fargo Texas Medical Center Bank At 6651 South Main St.