Main Riding Stables At 7034 Old Main Street Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper Jewish Herald-Voice dated 1948 and noticed a business ad for Main Riding Stables located at 7034 Old Main Rd.  Hadley 5288

Riding Lessons, Hay Ride Wagon.  Rentals.

7tiWU9X.png

Main Riding Academy Under New Management

Mr. Ira L. Nix wishes to announce that he has recently purchased the Main Riding Academy and is now ready to supply Houston's horseback riders with give gaited horses and an hour's ride through Houston's beautiful Hermann Park.

Mr. Nix also has the Gulf Coast Stables and has supplied Houston rent horses for the past thee years and found it necessary to expand his business.

At the Main Riding Stables special attention is paid to both pleasure and show horses, each stall has tail rails and are completely wires so that all tomes the horses cannot get their heads into the hall to bite the other horses as they are being led by the barn staff as screened to lessen the flies in the summer.

Eddie Nix has charge of the training and riding instructions.

9KSkmtj.png

• Like 1

Hayrides - wow.  I had forgotten all about those things.  It's been a few decades.  I never thought about hayrides in the big city - I grew up in a very small town.  I wonder if all of these other riding stables would have also offered hayrides.  Where I grew up, they were popular with youth groups, particularly church youth groups, probably not so much for adults.  That's what hansom cabs or other horse drawn carriages for two instead of a crowd were for. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Main Riding Stables At 7034 Old Main Street Rd.
  • The title was changed to Main Riding Stables At 7034 Old Main Street Rd.