Westheimer Stables At 13330 Westheimer Rd.

CJCJ

I was a student at Rice University in the mid eighties, and lived near Westheimer Stables. I would be there every weekend, and most weekday evenings helping out...giving riding lessons, and taking out groups of riders.  It was a fantastic place, run by a feisty old redhead named Miss Avis, and her crusty old cowboy husband, John Willoughby. The latter introduced me to team penning, and we went on to win prize money at rodeos all over the state.  It was a really happy time in my life...simple and carefree.  Needless to say, property developers were always sniffing around the large and perfectly situated site, and it was only a matter of time before Miss Avis was forced to move on.  My fondest memory is riding down Westheimer Boulevard to the local Circle K with John W, to pick up his beer...and him insisting that as a rancher, he didn't have to pay tax on the purchase!  There would often be a black and white police car parked on a obscured edge of the property, waiting to pounce on any speedsters...and John took great delight in running the cops off his land!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CJCJ said:

I was a student at Rice University in the mid eighties, and lived near Westheimer Stables. I would be there every weekend, and most weekday evenings helping out...giving riding lessons, and taking out groups of riders.  It was a fantastic place, run by a feisty old redhead named Miss Avis, and her crusty old cowboy husband, John Willoughby. The latter introduced me to team penning, and we went on to win prize money at rodeos all over the state.  It was a really happy time in my life...simple and carefree.  Needless to say, property developers were always sniffing around the large and perfectly situated site, and it was only a matter of time before Miss Avis was forced to move on.  My fondest memory is riding down Westheimer Boulevard to the local Circle K with John W, to pick up his beer...and him insisting that as a rancher, he didn't have to pay tax on the purchase!  There would often be a black and white police car parked on a obscured edge of the property, waiting to pounce on any speedsters...and John took great delight in running the cops off his land!

This thread is about the building at 3736, which was a Stables restaurant at one time. Not related to the riding stables which IIRC was west of Fondren.

• The title was changed to Westheimer Stables At 13330 Westheimer Rd.
  • 2 months later...

Was this related to the Westheimer family? I see 200 acres on Westheimer and only have to assume it was their family land.

From the newspaper The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated February 14, 1973.

Westheimer Stables

Abis Rent-A-Horse
Horse Shows & Rodeo Arena
Riding Instructions
200 Acres of Riding Ara
Cook-Outs

Horses For Sale
Rent or Boarded

Hay Rides
Horse Back Riding

497-2293 / 497-1630
10 Minutes Out - 13331 Westheimer Rd.