Contemporary Arts Museum Houston At 303 Dallas Ave.

Highrise Tower

I was browsing the newspaper The Thresher dated November 14, 1952 and came across a business ad for Contemporary Arts Museum located at 303 Dallas Ave.

I know of three locations of the CAMH.  I wonder which one is the original? This could be the first location?

1. 303 Dallas Ave.
  2. 6945 Fannin St.

3. 5216 Montrose Blvd.

Art Museum Open Sculpture Exhibit

The exhibit Sculpture - Directions and Forms open Sunday at the Contemporary Arts Museum, 302 Dallas Avenue. This is the first event at the Allied Arts Festival; Bernhardt Temmel, Director of the University of Houston Art Department assembled the exhibit to show the use of new materials and techniques as a means for a wider range of expression in the field of sculpture.

QSiQ0yb.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Rendering of the Contemporary Arts Museum, ca. 1948, by the firm of MacKie & Kamrath. This simple, but modernistic A-frame structure was designed as the first gallery and exhibition space for Houston’s Contemporary Arts Association, founded in 1948. Eventually, this building, located at 502 Dallas, became too small for the needs of the CAM, and it moved to its present, more spacious location on the northwest corner of Montrose and Bissonnet in 1972.

vn9INIR.png