Van's Stampede Western Ballroom At 1416 Richmond Ave.

cowgirl

I believe this used to be on Richmond, or was it West Alabama?

Great place to be on Tuesdays and Thursdays for beer bust night! :)

Whatever happened to this place, anyone know?

I just found this forum. My manager Mike McCambridge used to own The Stampede Ballroom and it was on Richmond Ave. I sang there regularly with Bud and Bud the Hooper Twins, Neal Hart, Jackie Ward, Arch Yancy and others. This was in the late 60's and early 70's. I sang there 3 nights a week. It was a great place to dance and listen to some of the best Western Swing Music!

As best I can remember, and I'm not totally, absolutely sure, but I think it was about one block east of Shepherd, between Kipling and Harold... facing onto Kipling.

It used to be called The Stampede Ballroom and it was owned, at least in the late 60's by Mike McCambridge (my manager), and located on Richmond Ave. They had a lot of groups come but Bud and Bud The Hooper Twins were the house band. I started my professional career right there. Jackie Ward, Neal Hart, Gene Watson, Arch Yancy (KIKK DJ), Mickey Gilly, and others would come and set in. Great dance hall!

I went back and looked again at the same page full of ads (1969), where I found Van's and found this. I didn't remember there being so many clubs in Houston back then. There are dozens in there.

StampedeRe-1969.jpg

Bud and Bud , the Hooper Twins ! They were identical twins and a real popular local act back then . They played C+W

clubs all over town .

• 2 years later...

Vans Stampede Ball Room was located on Richmond at the corner of Richmond and Loretto one block down from Mandell. It was an old Weingardens grocery store at one time. It later became Make Mine Country Ball Room. It was a totally separate place from the Van's Ball Room just off Shepherd. Here's a bit of irony for you, I met my husband at the Stampede in 1969. If I remember correctly Phil's Cafe was still on the corner of Mandell and Richmond at the time. I know it was still there as late as 1968. It was sometime about 68 or 69 that it moved to Portsmouth between Greenbrair and Shepherd.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Bud and Bud , the Hooper Twins ! They were identical twins and a real popular local act back then . They played C+W

clubs all over town .

The Hooper twins were good friends of ours and we used to follow then to different places that would play, groupies if you will.

Not really sure where this picture was made, it may have been at Magnolia Gardens but it had to be late 60's or early 70's. The two men with gray hair and the brown hats on are Bud and Bud. One at far left of picture and other on the right above the woman's head.

post-11998-0-91531900-1397446441_thumb.j

• 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2010 at 10:55 AM, 57Tbird said:

I went back and looked again at the same page full of ads (1969), where I found Van's and found this. I didn't remember there being so many clubs in Houston back then. There are dozens in there.

StampedeRe-1969.jpg

Dee Vickery is now a preacher. She has a ministry near San Antonio. She reaches out to a lot of young people and really doing a lot of good.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Van's Stampede on Richmond Ave was packed ever Tues and Thursday night for beer bust. One of the best c&w bands  ever  (Richard Morland and the Country Gents) played 6 nights a week. After he left Stan Randell and  Jackie Wright played. Winchester- Dance Town-Fools Gold all had live bands before clubs went to DJ's and ruined dance clubs.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

!!!  I have been combing the internet looking for any mention of Jackie Wright.  My family used to be close friends with her.  Things happen and everyone lost touch.  My mother last saw her around 1993.  I would love to find her again.  I don’t know if she’s still living, or not.  She should be about 79 years old now.  

I have such wonderful memories of going to the Stampede!  My mom would “sneak” me in (had to have Van’s permission, and only if it wasn’t too crowded) and we would always sit at Jackie’s table.  I was only 7-9 years old.  It was amazing!  The music, the dancing, everything was wonderful!  And when Stan would call out the Cotton-eyed-Joe, it sounded like the roof was coming down!!  Afterwards we’d go over to Lance’s across the street and get a snack for the ride home.  

Jackie also sang at the Vagabond for a short time (once or twice).  For my ninth birthday, my mom and her husband took me to see her.  I was all dressed up, wearing a petty white dress.  She surprised me by asking me to stand up and she sang happy birthday to me!  I was so embarrassed, but happy at the same time!  

Jackie was a hairdresser for her day job and she even gave me my first layered (Farrah Fawcett) haircut when she came to our house one day.  And one time for my birthday, she gave me an etiquette book.  Apparently she missed a few parts in there, that were a little inappropriate for an 11 year old girl!!😂 My mom had to put that book up for a couple years.  

Anyway, if anyone knows how to contact her, please let me know… Thank you

• 1 year later...