Airline Drive-In Theater At 4507 Airline Dr.

dwelling

I am working on a book about movie theatres and drive-ins in the Houston area. I am now in the final stages of the project and am trying to find photos of drive-ins for that chapter. Some, such as the Airline and I-45, are well covered. I am at a loss on others. I am especially interested in finding photos of the Thundirbird.

Does anyone have any photos of Drive-in theatres in the area that they would allow to be used for this project?

Thanks for any help on this project.

David Welling

I am working on a book about movie theatres and drive-ins in the Houston area. I am now in the final stages of the project and am trying to find photos of drive-ins for that chapter. Some, such as the Airline and I-45, are well covered. I am at a loss on others. I am especially interested in finding photos of the Thundirbird.

Does anyone have any photos of Drive-in theatres in the area that they would allow to be used for this project?

Thanks for any help on this project.

David Welling

You can log onto DriveIns.Com. Click on Search Database and enter any Houston zip code. You'll see a long list of theatres. I'm interested in your book. Let me know when you've finished it. I'm also trying to find out about a closed-down drive-in theatre called the Winkler. It was located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. If you come across anything about that one I would appreciate it if you would let me know. My parents and I went to that drive-in theatre when I was a little kid. Someone said that there is still an old sign on Winkler Drive that points to where it was. I read that the physical address was 205 Winkler Drive. I think that a Home Depot store now occupies that spot of land.

unfortunately, the only photos i have are fairly recent, empty parcels of land with a few remnants left...

epcin002.jpg

Generally, that is alll there is for the rare few that stand. The Epsom is about the only one that is intact, although unused, although in the Epsom's case, the tiny ticket booth is now a home, as evident by the mattress that had been squeezed in.