Trail Drive-In Theater At 3201 Old Spanish Trl.

FilioScotia

There was also another drive-in on Ardmore at Yellowstone. Looks like 288 took that one out, as it extended along Yellowstone from Ardmore to where the present day NB feeder road of 288 is located today.

I'm almost certain you're thinking about the Trail Drive-in, which was on Old Spanish Trail on the other side of 288 from Yellowstone and Ardmore. In fact it was on the same property now occupied by the County Health Department's Mosquito Control Division. That's the only spot where something as big as a Drive In could have been.

Zoom in with Google Earth to look at the big lot that's right up against the east side of 288 at OST. You can still make out very faint traces of curved parking rows of what was once a drive in theater.

And I really need to get out more. I just looked at the intersection of Red Bluff Rd and hwy 225 in Pasadena and I could find no trace of the old Red Bluff Drive In. None. Nada. That property is now a large equipment lot for some big heavy equipment company.

I'm almost certain you're thinking about the Trail Drive-in, which was on Old Spanish Trail on the other side of 288 from Yellowstone and Ardmore. In fact it was on the same property now occupied by the County Health Department's Mosquito Control Division. That's the only spot where something as big as a Drive In could have been.

Historic Aerials.com shows the old drive in site to be to the WEST of present day 288, at the intersection of OST and Ardmore. Here's pictures of the site's progression over the years.

1957:

drivein1957.jpg

1973:

drivein1973.jpg

1981:

drivein1981.jpg

2002:

drivein2002.jpg

Historic Aerials.com shows the old drive in site to be to the WEST of present day 288, at the intersection of OST and Ardmore.

I'll be damned. You're right. The back rows where I did a lot of heavy duty making out when I was in high school and college are now under the 288 freeway. In those days we called necking and petting. Heavy on the petting.

• The title was changed to Trail Drive-In Theater At 3201 Old Spanish Trl.

Archived