Banner Ads

Parrothead

While normally I don't mind banner ads, there are a few on here that cause my pages to either: a.) load at a snail's pace or b.) not load at all. They are so graphic-intensive with animation out the yin-yang that it ends up basically just frustrating me and I go do something else for a while.

Anyone else have this? I have DSL, no dial up here.

I get that too. Hate it.

It only takes a couple seconds to recognize whether or not the banner ad is going to slow down the forum from loading, and when that happens, I hit the refresh button. Sometimes I have to refresh two or three times before I'm pitched a different product on a banner ad which doenst interfere with the forum reading.

I'm guessing that each refresh still counts as a banner ad hit, right?

I get that too. Hate it.

It only takes a couple seconds to recognize whether or not the banner ad is going to slow down the forum from loading, and when that happens, I hit the refresh button. Sometimes I have to refresh two or three times before I'm pitched a different product on a banner ad which doenst interfere with the forum reading.

I had to do that too.

The Macromedia website advises this may just be a problem with your Flash Player which may be fixed by uninstalling Flash Player and then re-installing it. There's an uninstaller on the Macromedia website - or at least there was before Adobe took them over in December. You'll have to look for it. Uninstall takes just seconds and re-installing doesn't take much longer.

That didn't help me, however. The current version of Flash Player requires 128MB ram and a Pentium II or better processor. I had the processor on my old computer but not the ram.

You can just add more ram if you don't have enough -- a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.

I was planning on buying a new computer anyway so I just uninstalled Flash Player and left it off. For HAIF only the ads require Flash; without it, they load as static banners instead of animated ones and the rest of the website presents no problem.

However some websites require Flash Player to load at all and you may not be able to visit them or you'll be harrassed by incessant pop-ups asking if you want to install the Player.

I kept the uninstaller in a folder on my desktop where I could find it easily and would install Flash Player for a site that required it that I really wanted to visit and then would uninstall it again -- but only for a couple of weeks <_< .

Archived