Heights Graffiti Abatement

HeightsGuy

From the Chron:

Heights considers graffiti abatement

"3-1-1 has a good turnaround, but they can't abate graffiti if they don't know about it," said Mark Rayne of HPD Central Patrol's Tactical Unit. "The key is exposure; the longer graffiti is up, the bolder taggers get."

Once an incident of graffiti is reported, property owners are given 30 days' notice to remove graffiti themselves before the city comes in and covers the graffiti with gray paint.

I emplore everyone out there to call 311 to report graffiti. The more reports, the sooner this stuff will get cleaned up.

Absolutely, it applies to both public and private property. The tags on the back of street signs, or on bridge abutments and traffic signal boxes can be abated quickly. The private stuff is the one with the 30 day waiting period.

Carry your pen and paper and call this stuff in. Human nature shows that if great effort is erased immediately, they will eventually move on. Taggers consider this their art, so if it is immediately erased, they get no pub and no gratification. And, the more often they have to come back to put up their handiwork, the more chances to catch them.

Also, consider calling businesses to complain. If they say they can't afford it, or don't have time or labor, tell them to call the city to give permission. That will cut short the 30 days. Remind them that you don't support bad neighbors. Only the biggest morons will not see the value in cleaning this stuff up.

Good luck! I'll have 311 in my speed dialer soon!

repost:

Yesterday I watched From Tugboats to Polar Bears: Short Films by Matt McCormick. One that stuck out was "The Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal". Comparing city workers to Rothko & Rauschenberg & how their repressed creativity has spawned one of the most important art movements of the early 21th century. It's tounge-in-cheek, but it's kinda true if you think about it.

graffitiremoval2.jpg

rothko2.jpg

Archived