Gooney Golf At 4995 West Bellfort Ave.

2fatcats

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone remember these old amusement places in Houston?

Gooney Golf which was I think, at South Post Oak and W. Belfort.

I remember, just a little up from that intersection on Belfort. I think there was a grocery store at that corner (Beldons?) I had a friend who worked there. Probably played there a handful times. My folks still live near Belfort and Cliffwood.

• 1 year later...
I remember, just a little up from that intersection on Belfort. I think there was a grocery store at that corner (Beldons?) I had a friend who worked there. Probably played there a handful times. My folks still live near Belfort and Cliffwood.

I remember Gooney Golf. It was actually on Chimney Rock, between Willowbend and S. Post Oak. To the right of it (from the parking lot) was Meyer Branch Library (which is probably still there). To the left of it was a restaurant. I want to say it was called Kings. I remember getting hamburgers and onion rings there.

All I can remember of the miniature golf park was a tall Pteronasaurus (sic) Rex (whose arm would raise and lower an obstacle on the course), and a Humpty Dumpty figure on a wall. Must have closed in the 70's.

I remember Gooney Golf. It was actually on Chimney Rock, between Willowbend and S. Post Oak. To the right of it (from the parking lot) was Meyer Branch Library (which is probably still there). To the left of it was a restaurant. I want to say it was called Kings. I remember getting hamburgers and onion rings there.

All I can remember of the miniature golf park was a tall Pteronasaurus (sic) Rex (whose arm would raise and lower an obstacle on the course), and a Humpty Dumpty figure on a wall. Must have closed in the 70's.

Sorry but Gooney

Sorry but Gooney Golf and the library were on West Belfort between S. Post Oak and Willowbend.

Kings was great, I remember you ordered by telephone from your booth.

You're right, it was on Bellfort. I've always gotten that street and Chimney Rock mixed up due to their winding routes.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
I remember Gooney Golf. To the right of it (from the parking lot) was Meyer Branch Library (which is probably still there). To the left of it was a restaurant. I want to say it was called Kings. I remember getting hamburgers and onion rings there.

Yah, the Meyer Branch Library where they would give out passes every summer if you read a certain amount of books. The pass I remember winning was when they bussed all us kids that won downtown to see The Nutcracker Suite.

Kings was the best. I always remember ordering there on the telephone at your table. They had these little grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in crumb type batter that were to die for. Along with their gigantic bowl of onion rings. I'd love to find someone that makes those nowadays.

The Goony Golf was always a favorite treat on the weekends. I remember the big black pirate ship on the course that was closest to the library. And the huge windmill that was quite the thing to get the ball through. After the last hole you always got the chance to win a free round when you tried to get the hole in one up the center ramp. If you made it it started ringing/buzzing made all kinds of noise. If you missed it kept your ball.

After Kings it was time to head over to the drugstore at the Big Giant for a root beer float. Then buy a bottle of cinnamon oil to start making the toothpicks for sale at Kolter on Monday morning for 25 cents for a pack of 10. Yup, those were the days. I imagine nowadays kids at Kolter would get arrested if they tried selling cinnamon toothpicks to their classmates.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• 9 years later...
On 4/30/2008 at 6:08 PM, Gurgis said:

The Goony Golf location (address unknown) was located where the Havoline Express Lube and the Car Wash is now located adjacent 2 the present day Kroger Meyer Park - most of the Kroger location as of 2017 once housed MacRobert (later AJFoyt and Texstar) Chevrolet including a derelict strip mall where the Taco Cabana is now located (since Hurricane Harvey the Kroger Meyer Park ceased 24 hr operations where the Voss/San Felipe, West Gray, and Buffalo Speedway/Westpark location retained the 24hr service)

Edit: May 22, 1980

4995 West Bellfort, here's some advertisements and a photo.

oY52Uuh.jpg

bJokDzC.jpg

yR8iwgv.jpg

• The title was changed to Gooney Golf At 4995 W. Bellfort Ave.
  • The title was changed to Gooney Golf At 4995 West Bellfort Ave.

Archived