Urban Versus Rural

This may sound crazy to you out there. But since joining this forum, and all of you reviving my interest in Houston, my view towards urban versus rural life has now changed. I've lived in rural areas. I now live in a city of 9,000 people. But now I feel as though I would be safer living in Houston, over ten times bigger.

Be honest with me, am I "playing with a full deck"?

This may sound crazy to you out there. But since joining this forum, and all of you reviving my interest in Houston, my view towards urban versus rural life has now changed. I've lived in rural areas. I now live in a city of 9,000 people. But now I feel as though I would be safer living in Houston, over ten times bigger.

Be honest with me, am I "playing with a full deck"?

Before one could judge, explain your logic behind your "safety in the big city" theory?

Before one could judge, explain your logic behind your "safety in the big city" theory?

Here's what I mean. If I lived in a house or apartment there in Houston, and if my job is a reasonable driving distance, then all of my other necessities (e.g., grocery stores) would be nearby. Therefore, I wouldn't have to travel very far from my home. The farther a person ventures away from where they live, the more danger they are likely to encounter.

Let's take you personally, for an example. I assume that you live in Houston. How far away is your place of employment? How far away are stores that sell the things that you need?

You're right about nessessities being close by, so I understand that point. However, doesn't the old adage say that most accidents happen five minutes from home?

Yes, I've heard that. But I really wasn't referring to accidents. If you're in an area that you're in every day, you know your surroundings and most of the people there. I'm really talking about being a victim of violent crime. I would think that most (not all) victims of violent crime are attacked by people whom they don't know, when they are in a place that they know nothing or very little about.

Yes, I've heard that when you're out of town and you're driving home, you'll "ease up" and "kick back" when you're about 25 miles from your residence, thus increasing the chances of having an accident.

It's pretty random, I've heard that a lot if not most crimes are committed by people you know or associate with daily. Though that's not to say that some thug may not randomly choose you to mug.

You just have to watch your surroundings and those that you let into your circle of friends I guess. But I do know what Ashikaga means, most of the time I feel safer in areas that I am more familiar with and when there are a lot more people around.

Yes, I've heard that. But I really wasn't referring to accidents. If you're in an area that you're in every day, you know your surroundings and most of the people there. I'm really talking about being a victim of violent crime. I would think that most (not all) victims of violent crime are attacked by people whom they don't know, when they are in a place that they know nothing or very little about.

You're de-bunking your own original theory. By your thoughts, then you should be a lot safer in a town with only 9,000 people. The town is smaller, so you would know the area better. You would also know a higher number of the total population for your town. With both of these on your side - by your own words that I quoted in this post - you are safer.

Edited by Jeebus

You're de-bunking your own original theory. By your thoughts, then you should be a lot safer in a town with only 9,000 people. The town is smaller, so you would know the area better. You would also know a higher number of the total population for your town. With both of these on your side - by your own words that I quoted in this post - you are safer.

Yes, the town that I live in has 9,000 people. You're right, I feel safe in it. But it's not what would be called "rural"; "out in the country"; "open spaces", etc. I assume that you live in Houston. Do you have any sense of security in the area in which you reside?

Yes, the town that I live in has 9,000 people. You're right, I feel safe in it. But it's not what would be called "rural"; "out in the country"; "open spaces", etc. I assume that you live in Houston. Do you have any sense of security in the area in which you reside?

No - not really.