• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A few snippets of one of the all-time great moments in local television - oddly enough on KPRC's TikTok but not elsewhere. 

Also oddly enough, it was 1987 - not 1991 as the clip mentions. 

I know, crazy of me to expect the station to get something tied to their own content correct. 

From what I recall reading in the Post article on the event from Ken Hoffman, it was basically Ron Stone trying to juggle both news and weather while there were some technical issues taking place throughout the whole newscast. I'd still love to see the whole thing.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 9:38 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

A few snippets of one of the all-time great moments in local television - oddly enough on KPRC's TikTok but not elsewhere. 

Also oddly enough, it was 1987 - not 1991 as the clip mentions. 

I know, crazy of me to expect the station to get something tied to their own content correct. 

From what I recall reading in the Post article on the event from Ken Hoffman, it was basically Ron Stone trying to juggle both news and weather while there were some technical issues taking place throughout the whole newscast. I'd still love to see the whole thing.

NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston has their own official TikTok account ? 

On 6/25/2023 at 7:33 PM, cowboybud said:

I always found it strange that channel 39 copied the font used by Fox 26 for their logo in the late 80s/early 90s.

Generally, the TV stations don't pick the actual font.  They pick a graphics package from a third party, and that may be the font that came with the package.  In some cases, the package is dictated by the company that owns a group of television stations.

• Like 1

I always found it strange that channel 39 copied the font used by Fox 26 for their logo in the late 80s/early 90s.

That actually is something I've wondered about a bit over the years. I know it's a scenario that likely wouldn't take place today.

Friz Quadrata still is a good looking font as well, imo

KRIV's design came about after of the sale of MetroMedia's stations to Rupert Murdoch and their transformation into the core of what would be FOX - what then (and now) was the Fox Television Stations Group. The six stations all basically had the same logo and graphics rolled out to them for use at about the same time. KRIV's implementation of it began in the spring of 1986, before the network even launched. There was still some latitude in what they could do (ie: using Billy Ocean's "Loverboy" as the theme for the 7 O'clock & Midday News) but other than that, they effectively looked and sounded the same across that core group. While the graphics changed several times, the logo / font basically stayed in place until 1994 or 1995. 

KHTV's logo was a break from the previous one that had been around since at least 1983 or 84 and the station was probably trying to get away from the "39 Gold" branding, even though the "39" had been used independently of said branding through the end of 1987 and into 1988. The updated logo came about in the spring or summer of 1988, and it's then parent company (Gaylord) introduced a unified graphical look and music package around September of that year for all of its' stations - though interestingly enough - each of those stations had completely different logos and they kept it in one form or another until the summer of 1992.

• Like 1

Noticed that too. Too bad Channel 39 didn't copy Fox 26's studio set with the downtown skyline ..

2 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

That actually is something I've wondered about a bit over the years. I know it's a scenario that likely wouldn't take place today.

Friz Quadrata still is a good looking font as well, imo

KRIV's design came about after of the sale of MetroMedia's stations to Rupert Murdoch and their transformation into the core of what would be FOX - what then (and now) was the Fox Television Stations Group. The six stations all basically had the same logo and graphics rolled out to them for use at about the same time. KRIV's implementation of it began in the spring of 1986, before the network even launched. There was still some latitude in what they could do (ie: using Billy Ocean's "Loverboy" as the theme for the 7 O'clock & Midday News) but other than that, they effectively looked and sounded the same across that core group. While the graphics changed several times, the logo / font basically stayed in place until 1994 or 1995. 

KHTV's logo was a break from the previous one that had been around since at least 1983 or 84 and the station was probably trying to get away from the "39 Gold" branding, even though the "39" had been used independently of said branding through the end of 1987 and into 1988. The updated logo came about in the spring or summer of 1988, and it's then parent company (Gaylord) introduced a unified graphical look and music package around September of that year for all of its' stations - though interestingly enough - each of those stations had completely different logos and they kept it in one form or another until the summer of 1992.

Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston "Business Update" with Tony Burden from 1986: Not sure if this aired during either Spring, Summer or Fall of 1986.

36 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston "Business Update" with Tony Burden from 1986: Not sure if this aired during either Spring, Summer or Fall of 1986.

In an odd twist, that would appear to have been on my birthday - May 13, 1986 - based on the NYSE closing data

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/14/business/dow-slips-1.99-amid-light-trading.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

All before my time.  I didn't land at 39 until 2005ish. 

I still have a WB39 Houston pencil rolling around here somewhere…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 11:25 AM, Blue Dogs said:

Noticed that too. Too bad Channel 39 didn't copy Fox 26's studio set with the downtown skyline ..

39 was only doing updates throughout the day, so that probably precluded the need for a set.

It was only around 1989 or so when they ended up getting a photo and set piece to work with. IIRC it was an evening aerial shot toward downtown from W. Dallas or W. Gray. There used to be a clip of one of those updates on YouTube when Josh Burdick's channel was active but so much of that is gone and wasn't backed up. It survived into the early 90s. 

The following year (1990), they ended up getting an entire studio built out for their short-lived newscasts at 7 & 11 PM. Somewhat similar to KHOU at the time, there was a photo of the skyline in the background, but it was not center stage as the backdrop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

39 was only doing updates throughout the day, so that probably precluded the need for a set.

It was only around 1989 or so when they ended up getting a photo and set piece to work with. IIRC it was an evening aerial shot toward downtown from W. Dallas or W. Gray. There used to be a clip of one of those updates on YouTube when Josh Burdick's channel was active but so much of that is gone and wasn't backed up. It survived into the early 90s. 

The following year (1990), they ended up getting an entire studio built out for their short-lived newscasts at 7 & 11 PM. Somewhat similar to KHOU at the time, there was a photo of the skyline in the background, but it was not center stage as the backdrop. 

Basically they took cue from CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston 🤔